Moving on to the third chocolate muffin – Diana’s Double Chocolate Muffins from Diana’s Desserts.
As expected, these were kind of cupcake-like. They were sweeter and a bit richer than Nigella’s and could be eaten for both breakfast and dessert. They also rose very nicely and had a great texture. Diana’s muffins (see her picture) look a bit different than mine. I wanted muffins with big rims, so I ignored her advice to fill the tins 3/4 full and instead, filled the tins to the top. I also used a muffin tin with smaller than average indentations, which made for even more top, less stalk. Next time, I’ll probably just follow Diana’s directions precisely.
Fuzz and I both loved these. They have enough chocolate to double as dessert, but could also be a rich breakfast.
Diana’s Chocolate Muffins
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate chopped
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter softened
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 12-ounce bag semisweet chocolate chips
- Additional semisweet chocolate chips for topping muffins
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 C). Spray 6 giant-size muffin cups or 12 regular muffin cups with flour-added cooking spray. (I used flour-added Pam)
- In a microwave-safe bowl, melt chocolate in the microwave on medium-high heat for 30 second intervals, stirring in between, until smooth. Set aside.
- Using an electric mixer, cream sugar and butter. Beat in eggs, then add sour cream and milk. In a small bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Pour flour mixture into butter mixture and stir together by hand. Stir in melted chocolate and chocolate chips.
- Fill each muffin cup about three-quarters of the way full with batter, and if desired sprinkle some chocolate chips over top of batter. Bake for about 20 minutes for standard-sized muffins or 25 minutes (mine took 25) for giant muffins, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Transfer muffins to wire rack to cool completely.
- Makes 6 giant or 12 standard muffins.