I’m parking this recipe here for anyone interested. These bran muffins are pretty good! They’re made with whole wheat flour, whole bran, a combination of molasses and brown sugar and not a lot of oil.
With 1 1/2 cups of whole bran, they have a rather coarse texture that true bran lovers should appreciate. Or at least I do!
- 1 cup 275 grams whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups bran
- 1 1/4 cups 10 oz buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar 50 grams
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries or raisins
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Grease or spray 12 muffin cups or line with paper liners.
- Mix the flour, baking soda, and salt together very thoroughly, then stir in the bran.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, oil, molasses and brown sugar until blended, then whisk in the buttermilk
- Add the bran mixture to the milk mixture and stir until blended, then stir in the dried fruit.
- Divide batter among the muffin tins filling almost to the top.
- Bake for 18 minutes (check at 15).
- Note: You may have some extra batter depending on the capacity of your muffin cups.