These are two brownie recipes I bookmarked and finally got around to making. First, are Fudgy Salted Brownies from the Christian Science Monitor. The recipe is originally from Melissa Clark. The second recipe Dr. Pepper Brownies from The Morning Journal (Ohio). These are very similar to Coca Cola Cake, but made with Dr. Pepper instead of Coke.
Salted Brownies and Dr. Pepper Brownies
- 1 cup butter salted or unsalted (230 grams)
- 1 cup Dr. Pepper
- 2 cups all-purpose flour 270 grams
- 2 cups granulated sugar 400 grams
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon optional
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoon unsweetened natural cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/2 cup butter salted
- 6 tablespoons Dr. Pepper
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened natural cocoa
- 1 pound powdered sugar sifted
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 15x10 inch rimmed pan.
- In a saucepan, heat the butter and Dr. Pepper over medium until butter melts. Remove from heat.
- Meanwhile, in a large mixing bowl, thoroughly whisk together the flour, sugar, cinnamon, salt, and cocoa powder..
- In a glass measuring cup or another bowl, combine buttermilk, baking soda and vanilla. Add milk mixture to dry ingredients, then add Dr. Pepper mixture.
- Spread evenly in the pan and bake for 25 to 30 minutes.
- For the frosting, heat the butter, Dr. Pepper and cocoa in a large (3 quart) saucepan until boiling. bring to boil the butter, Dr. Pepper and cocoa.
- Gradually add the powdered sugar, beating with a wooden spoon until mixture is smooth.
- Spread on warm cake and let cool and set.