National Pie Day is tomorrow! Are you ready? If not, here’s a recipe that might change that. It is a VERY easy chocolate pie.
This creamy layered chocolate pie is based on a recipe I brought home from a visit to the Hershey Hotel & Spa. It’s meant to be convenient and calls for only five simple ingredients including a 6 ounce store bought crumb crust. I complicated things and used a homemade crust made with gingersnaps, but I’m sure the store bought crust would be just fine.
Here’s a picture of a cross-section taken after 12 hours in the freezer. Notice how my pie is a little short? That’s one reason I think you might be better off using the small store bought crust!
- 1 (6 oz) pie crust (or your favorite homemade), prepared as directed
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips, divided use
- 2 tablespoons plus 1/4 cup milk, I used whole, divided use
- 1 1/2 cups miniature marshmallows
- 8 ounce container of frozen whipped topping, thawed
- Measure out 1/3 cup of the chocolate chips and mix with 2 tablespoons of the milk. Put in a microwave-safe bowl and heat on high for 20 seconds. Stir until chips are melted. If needed, microwave for another 20 seconds. Spread over the bottom of the pie crust and put in the refrigerator to set.
- Put the remaining 2/3 cup of chips, marshmallows and 1/4 cup of milk in a saucepan and heat over medium, stirring constantly, until melted. Transfer to a large bowl and let sit for about 30 minutes or until completely cool.
- Fold about 2 cups of the whipped topping into the chocolate mixture. Spread about 2/3 of that mixture over the crust. Add whatever is left in the tub of whipped topping (a little over a cup) to the remaining chocolate mixture in the bowl. Spread over the top of the pie.
- Cover and freeze 6 to 8 hours or overnight.