I like trying new and different vanilla frosting recipes, but when I need a solid tried and true recipe for topping cupcakes, this is my favorite vanilla frosting. It has plenty of butter, high quality vanilla and a little salt to offset the sweetness. You can make it with any brand of vanilla extract or for a change of pace, vanilla bean paste. The frosting in the photo has vanilla bean paste, hence the speckles of vanilla bean.
- 2 sticks (8 oz) butter, softened
- 1 pound (3 3/4 cups) powdered sugar
- 4 teaspoons vanilla extract or Sonoma Syrups Vanilla Bean Crush
- 2 tablespoons whole milk
- 1/4 teaspoons salt, but only if using unsalted butter
- Beat the butter with an electric mixer until it is soft.
- Gradually add the powdered sugar, scraping the sides of the bowl. Add the vanilla some of the milk. Beat on high until light and creamy, scraping sides of bowl.
- Add remaining milk if needed. Taste test and add more sugar, vanilla or milk to get the consistency you want.