A few months ago I found some Eagle Brand in the pantry and decided to try their quick butterscotch cream pie recipe. Because it was an easy “convenience” pie, I figured it would be good, but not great. Well, it totally exceeded my expectations and I made a mental note to try a coconut variation. It took a few months to get around to it, but here it is with coconut and pineapple.
It is extremely simple. In fact, I’d say the hardest part for some people will be finding a good coconut extract. You could probably find a good extract on King Arthur’s site, and it’s possible that Watkins makes a good one, though I’ve never tried it. If you have a favorite coconut extract, let me know. I’ve yet to find one I like on the baking aisle.
Quick Coconut Cream Pie
- 1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter melted
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 8 oz. package cream cheese, softened
- 1 14 oz. can Eagle Brand® Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 3/4 cup cold water
- 1 4-serving size package instant coconut pudding mix
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon good quality coconut extract or one you like**
- 1/3 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- Small can of crushed pineapple drained and patted dry
Sweetened Whipped Cream Topping
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon good quality vanilla
- A handful of lightly toasted sweetened flaked coconut
- Mix together crumbs, sugar and butter. Press into a 9 inch deep dish pie plate and bake for 6 minutes at 375 degrees F. Let cool completely.
- Meanwhile, beat the cup of cream until stiff peaks form, then set it aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese until fluffy. Gradually beat in sweetened condensed milk until smooth. Stir in water, coconut pudding mix and both extracts and beat until smooth. Stir in pineapple and sweetened flaked coconut. Fold in the whipped cream.
- Pour into prepared pie crust and chill for 30 minutes or until set. Garnish with whipped cream and toasted coconut.
- To make sweetened cream for topping, whip 1 cup of heavy whipping cream until soft peaks form. Add 1/4 cup of powdered sugar and 1 teaspoon of vanilla and beat until peaks are stiff. Pipe over top of pie or just spread it.