You know it’s fall when the baking chips change! The first new flavor of the season is Reese’s Baking Cups and Reese’s Pieces Candies. It’s just a mix of the two candies, but a very convenient product for those of us who like our double chocolate cookie cross-sections to look like this. I found the product at Jewel.
As for the cookies, this is one of my favorite double chocolate cookie recipes. I usually pack these with Reese’s Peanut Butter Chips, but I think they look even better with a mix of the chips and the new Reese’s Baking Cups and Reese’s Pieces Candies. Mini Nutter Butters sold separately.
Here’s the recipe (and one more photo).
- 2 sticks (228 grams) unsalted butter, cold and cut into chunks
- 1/2 cup (100 grams) light brown sugar
- 1 cup (185 grams) cane sugar
- About 2 large eggs, lightly beaten in a separate bowl (100 grams)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 280 grams all-purpose flour (2 cups, unsifted)
- 1/2 cup (40 grams) Hershey’s Dark cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup peanut butter chips
- 1 cup Reese’s baking mix (cups and pieces)
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips (optional)
- Put the butter in the bowl of a stand mixer and beat with a paddle until it becomes creamy. Add the sugars and beat for about 4 minutes, stopping occasionally to scrape sides of bowl.
- With mixer on low speed, pour in the 100 grams of beaten eggs and the vanilla.
- In a separate bowl mix together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. Add to the mixing bowl and stir on low until completely blended, then stir in the peanut butter chip mixture.
- Scoop dough into 12 equal size mounds and place on a piece of plastic wrap. Cover and chill, cover with plastic wrap and chill for several hours (I recommend overnight) or until the dough is stiff.
- Arrange oven rack so that it is in the top third of the oven.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- When ready to bake, arrange dough balls on a parchment lined baking sheet and bake at 375 F. for 16-18 minutes. Cookies should look slightly underdone. Allow cookies to cool on the baking sheet for about 5 minutes, then carefully transfer to a wire rack to finish cooling.