Lemon Rosemary Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
Lemon Rosemary Layer Cake is a light textured lemon layer cake flecked with fresh rosemary and frosted with a lemon flavored cream cheese frosting.
Prep Time20 mins
Cook Time25 mins
Total Time45 mins
- 9 tablespoons 130 grams unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/4 cups sugar 250 grams
- 2 eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 cups flour 260 grams
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup sour cream 170 grams
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- 1/2 tablespoon minced fresh rosemary
- 1 1/2 packages 12 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter softened (84 grams)
- 2 cups powdered sugar plus more if desired (200 grams)
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
Preheat oven to 350 degrees; grease and flour two 8-inch round baking pans.
In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. You do this with a handheld mixer or use the paddle attachment of a stand mixer. Add the eggs and yolk, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
In a separate bowl, thoroughly mix together flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda.
Add the dry ingredients and sour cream alternately, beating well by hand (or using the paddle attachment if using a stand mixer) after each addition.
Stir in lemon juice, zest and rosemary.
Divide the batter evenly between the two pans and bake 25–30 minutes, or until edges begin to brown.
Let the cakes cool for 10 minutes in pans, then invert onto a rack and let cool completely.
Frosting: Beat together cream cheese and butter until creamy. Gradually stir in the powdered sugar and beat until mixed, then add lemon juice and zest and continue beating until light and creamy.