Whole Wheat Pumpkin Maple Spice Muffins
Muffin with flavors of maple and pumpkin.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time16 mins
Total Time26 mins
- 2 cups 9 oz all-purpose or white whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 8 tablespoons melted salted butter or a stick of I Can’t Believe it’s Not Butter
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/3 cup canned pumpkin
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose or white whole wheat flour
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons walnuts chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons cold butter or from an ICBINB stick
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Spray 16 muffin cups with flour-added baking spray or line with paper liners.
In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice and salt. Stir well, then stir in the brown sugar.
In a second bowl, combine the buttermilk, butter, syrup, pumpkin, egg and vanilla. Add to the dry ingredients and stir just until mixed (don't over-beat).
Fill muffin cups two-thirds full. For topping, combine the flour, sugar, nuts and cinnamon; cut in butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over batter.
Bake for 16-18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks.