Delightful Coconut Cookies
Chewy coconut cookies made with crust Cheerios type cereal.
- 1/2 cup 98 grams shortening
- 1/4 cup softened unsalted butter
- 1/4 teaspoon salt omit if using salted butter
- 1 cup 200 grams packed light brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup 135 grams all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 1/2 cups Tasteeos or Cheerios crushed to make 1 1/2 cups
- 3/4 cup flaked coconut I used sweetened flaked
- 1/2 cup pecans and/or coconut optional
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
With an electric mixer, beat the shortening, butter and sugar until creamy. Add the egg and vanilla, then beat until well mixed.
In a separate bowl stir together the flour and baking soda, then add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and stir until blended. Stir in the cereal and coconut (and chocolate and nuts, if using).
Drop the cookies by level tablespoon onto the baking sheet and bake for 8 to 10 minutes.
Let cool on a rack.