Gold Medal's Extraordinary Chocolate Chip Cookies
Extraordinary Chocolate Chip Cookies are based on the recipe from the Gold Medal Flour bag
- 3 sticks butter softened (350 grams)
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar 240 grams
- 1 1/4 cups packed brown sugar 240 grams
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt increase to 1 1/2 if using unsalted butter
- 4 cups all-purpose flour 510 to 550 grams
- 24 oz semisweet chocolate chips 4 cups
Preheat oven to 350°F. Have ready two rimmed baking sheets (ungreased).
In large bowl, beat butter, sugars, vanilla and eggs with electric mixer on medium speed or with spoon until light and fluffy. Stir in baking soda and salt until thoroughly mixed, then add flour and stir until thick. Stir in chocolate chips. Makes about 74 ounces of dough
On ungreased cookie sheet, drop dough with a medium cookie scoop or rounded tablespoons.
Bake 11 to 13 minutes or until light brown (centers will be soft). Cool 1 to 2 minutes; remove from cookie sheet to cooling rack.
I like to portion out the cookie dough with a medium size cookie scoop, chill the scooped portions (covered with plastic) until they are very firm, then put the scooped portions in a big freezer bag and bake as needed. The cookies are best when baked with dough that has been chilled for about 24 hours, so I recommend keeping the portioned dough balls in the refrigerator for the first 24 hours and transferring to the freezer for storage. That is, if you decide not to bake them all at once!
f you just want a half batch, here are the measurements.
Extraordinary Chocolate Chip Cookies from Gold Medal Half Batch
- 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter (175 grams), softened
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons light brown sugar (120 grams)
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar (120 grams)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt (if using salted butter, decrease to 1/4 teaspoon)
- 2 cups (260 grams) all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chocolate chips