The Best Pecan Pie Yet
The Best Pecan Pie Yet -- or at least, one of my favorites.
- 1 9 inch deep dish unbaked pie shell
- 1 1/2 cups pecan halves
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup light corn syrup or Karo "brown sugar" corn syrup
- 3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons whipping cream
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
Preheat oven to 350 F. Place pecans in a large skillet and turn heat to medium high. Cook pecans for 2 minutes, stirring often. Reduce heat slightly, add butter to skillet with pecans, and "stir-fry" butter and pecans until butter melts and browns - take care not to burn. This should only take about 3 minutes. Remove from heat.
In medium bowl, stir or lightly whisk together eggs, corn syrup, brown sugar, cream, vanilla and salt. Stir in melted butter/pecan mixture then pour filling into unbaked crust.
Bake for 45-50 minutes or until top is golden brown and appears set. The pie should still be slightly jiggly in center. Let cool completely at room temperature. Transfer to refrigerator to chill.
This pie also freezes quite well.