Hermit Bars are sliced spice cookies. This recipe is adapted from an old issue of Cook's Illustrated and happens to be one of my favorites.
- 8 tablespoons butter softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mace (or pinch of nutmet
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt use less if using salted butter
- 1 cup raisins plumped
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans toasted
- 1 egg beaten
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Cream together butter and sugar using high speed of electric mixer. Beat for 3 minutes. Beat in eggs and molasses.
In a separate bowl, stir together all dry ingredients. Stir dry ingredients into molasses mixture. Stir in raisins and nuts.
Line two baking sheets with parchment or Silpats. Divide dough into 2 sections and form two logs of about 14x2 inches. Brush logs with beaten egg. Bake for 15 minutes. Let cool for 15 minutes. Slice each log at an angle about 2 inches thick. Makes about 16 bars.