Mom's Pecan Pie
Our family's recipe for pecan pie. It's similar to the one on the Karo bottle, but with a little more butter and less sugar. I use half light and half dark corn syrup.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time50 mins
Total Time1 hr
- 1 9 inch unbaked pastry crust
- 1 cup pecans roasted and chopped
- 3 large eggs room temperature
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar 100 grams
- 1 cup corn syrup I use 1/2 light and 1/2 cup dark
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup melted butter can use salted or unsalted
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon salt use 1/8 if butter is salted, 1/4 if unsalted
Preheat oven to 350 degrees and have ready a rimmed baking sheet.
If you haven't done so, roast your pecans by laying them on a baking sheet and baking for about 6 to 8 minutes at 350 or until they start to release their oils. Let cool, then chop.
Line a 9 inch pie dish with pastry. You can use a glass dish or a disposable 9 inch pie pan.
Spread the roasted pecans across the bottom of the pastry lined pie dish.
Whisk the eggs until the yolks are blended with the whites, then whisk in the sugar, corn syrup, vanilla, melted butter and salt.
Pour filling over pecans (they will rise to the top when the pie is baked).
Put the pie on the rimmed baking sheet and bake for 50-60 minutes or until pie appears set (though it should be slightly jiggly when you pull it from the oven).
Let cool for several hours, then cover and freeze overnight if you have time. Bring to room temperature before serving.