Oreo Mousse Filled Chocolate Trifecta Cake Using Cake Boss Mix
Chocolate cake filled with a very simple "mousse" and covered with chocolate frosting
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time22 mins
Total Time32 mins
- 1 box of cake mix plus ingredients called for on package
- A 6 serving size box of INSTANT pudding mix I used Oreo
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup whole milk not sure low fat would work well
- 8 tablespoons of unsalted butter softened
- 1 1/2 tablespoons of sour cream room temperature
- 3 cups confectioners’ sugar sift or aerate before using
- 3/4 cup natural style cocoa powder
- 1 tiny pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 to 6 tablespoons of heavy cream plus whole milk as needed
Bake cake according to directions using two 9 inch round pans.
Prepare the filling and put it on one layer of the cooled cake. To make the filling, simply combine pudding mix, milk and cream and beat with an electric mixer for about 3 or 4 minutes or until thickened. Peaks should form and it should be stiff (as in the photo).
Scoop the pudding onto the first layer of cake and cap with second layer. Keep chilled while you make the frosting. Alternatively, you could freeze the filled cake, wrap tightly and keep frozen until ready to frost.
To make the frosting, in a large mixing bowl, mix the butter, sour cream sugar, cocoa, salt and 2 tablespoons of the cream as well as you can, then beat with a hand-held mixer until thick. Continue adding remaining cream until you get a nice, smooth, spreading consistency. Add whole milk 1 tablespoons at a time if frosting seems to thick. Spread over cake.