Key Lime Pie
A Key lime pie made without egg yolks
- 1 9 inch pie crust baked (I like a gingersnap crust)
- 1 can 14 oz of sweetened condensed milk
- 1/4 cup sour cream regular (lite might not work well)
- 6 tablespoons fresh lime juice or Nellie's Key Lime Juice
- 1 tablespoon halve it if you like a less tart pie of lime zest
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Whisk together condensed milk, sour cream, lime juice and lime zest. Pour the mixture into the baked pie crust, then bake for 5 to 8 minutes. The filling should not brown. in fact, it won't look like it did anything!
Remove from oven and let cool for about an hour at room temperature. Chill for at least 4 hours before serving.
At some point during the chill time, prepare the whipped cream. Whip the whipping cream until stiff peaks just start to form, then beat in the sugar and vanilla. Pipe the whipping cream decoratively around the edges.