Half-Batch Halfway Cookies are a chocolate chip bar cookie with a light, meringue topping.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time25 mins
Total Time35 mins
- 1/4 cup 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 tablespoon water
- 1 cup all-purpose flour 4.5 oz
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 scant teaspoon salt omit if using salted butter or margarine
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips 6 oz
- 1 large egg white
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla optional -- my add-in
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line an 8 inch pan with nonstick foil.
Cream butter and both sugars. Beat in the egg yolk and vanilla and water; mix well.
Combine the next four ingredients (flour, soda, powder and salt); gradually add to creamed mixture. Spread in pan. Sprinkle with chips and pat them lightly into the dough.
Prepare topping: Beat egg white in a mixing bowl just until stiff peaks begin to form. Gradually add brown sugar beating on high until stiff peaks form. Beat in vanilla if using. Spread
evenly over chips. Bake at 350 degrees F for 25- minutes or until
golden brown. Cool completely on a wire rack. Cut into bars. Store in the refrigerator