Katy's Favorite Blondies
Dense, chewy, not at all cakey.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time35 mins
Total Time45 mins
- 2 cups 280g/10 oz unbleached all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup 230 grams melted, very warm, unsalted butter
- 2 cups packed golden brown sugar 420 grams
- 2 whole eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 tablespoon dark rum or bourbon
- 2 cups bittersweet chocolate chips/ chunks
- 1 cup toasted walnuts optional – Katy leaves them out
- 1/3 cup sweetened flaked coconut optional or white chips or both
Preheat oven to 350 F degrees F. (176 C). Line a 13x9 inch pan with parchment paper or foil. I used foil and greased only the bottom.
Mix together the flour, baking powder and salt; set aside. Mix together butter and brown sugar. If you’ve used very hot butter, let the mixture cool for 5 minutes before beating in the egg. With a spoon or whisk, gently beat in the eggs, vanilla and rum. Stir dry ingredients into batter. Let the batter cool down if it is still warm, then stir in the chips and walnuts (optional) and coconut (if using).
Spread in pan and bake for about 35 minutes or until pale golden and edges start to pull away from the sides (glass pan at 325 will take about 45 minutes). Let cool completely, then lift from pan and cut into squares.
I almost always use a metal pan, but if you use a glass pan you might want to reduce the heat by 25 degrees.
For thicker blondies, multiply the batter by 1 1/2 times, but bake in a 9x13 inch metal pan for 20 minutes at 350, then another 18-20 minutes at 325 degree F. For a chocolate drizzle, melt about 1 oz of chocolate with 1 teaspoon of butter and drizzle over top of cooled blondies. Chill thoroughly before slicing. You may also add white chips, milk chocolate, whatever!