Applesauce Chocolate Chip Cake
This is an incredible tasting Bundt cake that has a little bit of everything -- chocolate, spices and fruit. It may sound like an odd mix of flavors, but everything comes together perfectly.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time50 mins
Total Time1 hr
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 cups unsweetened applesauce
- 2 large eggs lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 stick unsalted butter melted
- One 12-ounce bag semisweet-chocolate chips
- Confectioners' sugar for dusting
Preheat the oven to 350° and spray a 12 cup Bundt pan with flour added spray (or grease and flour).
In a large bowl, whisk together flour, granulated sugar, baking soda, cinnamon, cardamom, salt, cloves and pepper. Whisk in the applesauce, eggs, oil and melted butter. Fold in the chocolate chips.
Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with a few crumbs attached.
Transfer the pan to a rack and let the cake cool for 10 minutes, then invert it onto the rack and let cool completely, about 20 minutes.
When cake is cool, sprinkle sift confectioners' sugar over the top.