Chocolate Mallow Malt Pie
Chocolate Marshmallow Malt Pie is made with melted marshmallows, chopped chocolate, malt powder and heavy cream.
- 1 9 inch baked pie shell
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 8 ounces by weight marshmallows
- 1/4 scant teaspoon kosher salt (original calls for 1/2 but I like 1/4)
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips I used 3 oz chopped semisweet from Trader Joe's
- 3 tablespoons malted milk powder Carnation
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Sweetened whipped cream for garnish – you can use whipped topping or whip up another 1 cup cream with 2-3 tablespoons of powdered sugar and a 1 teaspoon of vanilla
In the top of a double boiler, heat the milk, marshmallows and salt, stirring constantly, until the marshmallows are melted.
Remove from heat and add the chocolate chips. Stir until smooth and let cool to room temperature. When cool, stir in the malted milk powder.
In a chilled metal bowl using chilled beaters, beat the cream until stiff peaks just begin to form. Beat in vanilla.
Fold whipped cream into chocolate mixture. Transfer the mixture into the baked pie shell. Chill for several hours or until set.
Before serving, pipe sweetened whipped cream or whipped topping around the edges and garnish with chocolate shavings, mini chips or chocolate syrup.
The pie freezes quite well!
To make in the microwave, use a large microwave safe mixing bowl. The Pampered Chef Batter Bowl works great for this.
Put the milk and marshmallows in the bowl and microwave on high for 1 minute, stopping to stir halfway through. Repeat. Add the chocolate and continue microwaving and stirring every 30 seconds and until marshmallows and chocolate are both melted and mixture is smooth. Let cool down, then add the salt and malted milk powder and proceed with the rest of the recipe.