A few years ago a friend sent me a vintage copy of Best of the Bake-Off Collection, a book with 1,000 Bake-Off recipes dating back to the fifties. It’s a fun little cookbook, and the source of the original Chocolate Mallow Malt Pie recipe.
What’s special about this pie is like Hershey Bar Pie, it is stabilized with melted marshmallows so you don’t have to use gelatin. And of course the malted milk powder makes it interesting too. Plus it’s kind of light textured compared to some other chocolate pies, so it’s rich without feeling heavy.
Chocolate Mallow Malt Pie Crust
For the crust you can use any kind you like. Pastry crust will give you a sweet & salty flavor, but the pie is also great with a homemade or even store bought graham cracker crust. For the chocolate, I usually end up using chopped Trader Joe’s Dark, but it would be fun to try this one with other types.
No double boiler? You can definitely make this in the microwave. I’ve added microwave directions to the notes section of the recipe. I almost always use the microwave these days, and the pie comes together very quickly.
Chocolate Mallow Malt Pie
- 1 9 inch baked pie shell
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 8 ounces by weight marshmallows
- 1/4 scant teaspoon kosher salt (original calls for 1/2 but I like 1/4)
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips I used 3 oz chopped semisweet from Trader Joe’s
- 3 tablespoons malted milk powder Carnation
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Sweetened whipped cream for garnish – you can use whipped topping or whip up another 1 cup cream with 2-3 tablespoons of powdered sugar and a 1 teaspoon of vanilla
- In the top of a double boiler, heat the milk, marshmallows and salt, stirring constantly, until the marshmallows are melted.
- Remove from heat and add the chocolate chips. Stir until smooth and let cool to room temperature. When cool, stir in the malted milk powder.
- In a chilled metal bowl using chilled beaters, beat the cream until stiff peaks just begin to form. Beat in vanilla.
- Fold whipped cream into chocolate mixture. Transfer the mixture into the baked pie shell. Chill for several hours or until set.
- Before serving, pipe sweetened whipped cream or whipped topping around the edges and garnish with chocolate shavings, mini chips or chocolate syrup.