Not So Blonde Brownies
A light chocolate brownie with a delicate cocoa essence
- 1 1/4 cups 6 oz unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt or use 1/2 tsp if using unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup 1 stick butter, softened
- 1/2 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons Nielsen-Massey Madagascar Bourbon Pure Vanilla Extract
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon Nielsen-Massey Pure Chocolate Extract
- 2 tablespoons Kahlúa
- 1 cup coarsely chopped white chocolate
- 3/4 cup coarsely chopped nuts of choice I used toasted walnuts
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a 13x9 inch metal pan with foil and spray foil with cooking spray.
Sift the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt together. Set aside.
Cream the butter, brown sugar, granulated sugar and vanilla extract in a mixing bowl using an electric mixer on medium speed. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the chocolate extract and Kahlúa. Add the sifted dry ingredients in two additions, beating well after each addition. Fold in the white chocolate chunks and nuts.
Spray a 9 x13-inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray. Spread the batter over the bottom of the pan with a rubber spatula. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until the brownies begin to pull away from the sides of the pan.