Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Cookies
Chocolate chip cookies made with whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 1/4 cups whole wheat pastry flour (spoon and sweep) (170 grams)
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon Morton kosher salt
- 8 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into chunks (114 grams)
- 1/4 cup evaporated cane juice crystals or just granulated sugar (50 grams)
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar (100 grams)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup bittersweet chocolate chips
- 2/3 cup toasted walnuts coarsely chopped
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Have ready a couple of cookie sheets.
Stir together the flour, baking soda and salt; set aside.
Beat the cold butter with an electric mixer until creamy. Add both sugars and beat for another 2 minutes, scraping down sides of bowl. Beat in the vanilla and egg, beating only for about 30 seconds. By hand, stir in the flour mixture. When flour is almost incorporated, stir in the chocolate chips and walnuts and stir until flour is completely mixed.
Drop by rounded tablespoons and bake for 12 minutes on ungreased cookie sheets.