Pecan Pie Chocolate Chunk Cookies

by on July 19, 2005 · 6 comments

Today’s cookie recipe is one I made up for a frozen pie contest. The cookies are big and fat and have little chunks of actual pecan pie which survives the double baking process. You don’t have to buy a whole frozen pie for this recipe. Edwards and Mrs. Smith’s sell their pies in convenient “singles” packages which give you two individually boxed slices. But this might also be a good use of leftover pecan pie from Thanksgiving. So make these now, or sock this recipe away until November.

edwardschocolatechunkers.jpg

Pecan Pie Chocolate Chunk Cookies

2 slices frozen or prepared pecan pie
1/2 cup butter, melted and cooled
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups flour or if you have it, bread flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
4 ounces dark chocolate, cut into chunks

Cut frozen or pecan pie into bite size pieces and place in freezer until frozen or, if using already frozen, until ready to use.

In a medium bowl, stir together melted butter, sugar and dark brown sugar. Add egg and vanilla. Stir until smooth.

Mix together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and
salt. Stir into sugar mixture. Fold in frozen pecan pie pieces and chocolate chunks.

Using a quarter cup measure, scoop and shape dough into balls and place on a dish. Chill shaped dough balls for at least 1 hour or until ready to bake.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Place thoroughly chilled dough balls about 3 inches apart on an ungreased non-stick or parchment lined cookie sheet.

Bake cookies for 15 minutes, covering loosely with sheet of foil after
first 10 minutes to prevent over browning. Cool on cookie sheet for 3 minutes, then remove.

Makes 12 big cookies

Published on July 19, 2005

Sylvie July 20, 2005 at 12:44 pm

This recipe sounds and looks quite good. How creative!

Anna July 20, 2005 at 3:01 pm

Thanks, Sylvie! We liked the cookies too, but I guess the judges were looking for something else this time. I can’t wait to see who the winners are.Have fun on your trip.

kristamb July 21, 2005 at 12:23 am

Damon loves pecan pie. He’s out of town for his side gig but I think I will make these as a “welcome home” treat. I’m always amazed with your creations!

Anna July 21, 2005 at 7:52 am

Krista, I have a bunch of other “piedeas” that used pecan pie, so I’ll post them too. Another one was a Magic Cookie Pie, where you pour a thin layer of condensed milk over a frozen pecan pie, sprinkle a mixture of chocolate chips, pecans and coconut (or broken cookies) over the condensed milk and then bake it. I’ll try to post that a few other ones today.

dgeevanson August 20, 2006 at 12:09 am

I made these last night, but noticed that oats were not listed in the ingredient list, but they were on the directions. I threw in 1/2 c oats and the batter was quite crumbly. I am guessing that the directions shouldn’t have said oats??? They were delicious and a definate repeater. Thanks

Anna August 20, 2006 at 7:06 am

dg, thanks for catching that typo! I fiddled around with the ingredients when I added the pie and forgot to remove the oats from the directions. I have another version that

1) uses toasted oats
2) uses bread flour
3) does not use pecan pie

And that is what I based this one on. The oats in the other version are definitely supposed to be there, but you hardly notice them in the end.