Ginger-Squash Cake

by on September 21, 2007 · 7 comments

Today’s cake recipe is from the most recent issue of Bon Appetit. I chose it because I’m into butternut squash right now and because the recipe was developed by Jean Anderson, whom I admire from afar. If you don’t own it already, I highly recommend her book The American Century Cookbooks for both the recipes and the reading.

But back to this cake. It’s very flavorful and you can really taste butternut squash and ginger. The white chocolate topping, which seems sort of like a ganache to me, tastes interesting combined with the squash. Fall flavors come through loud and clear. One thing you should know before you make it is it’s a thin cake. The picture in the magazine shows it from the top, so it’s hard to tell. Here’s how thin mine was. The only change I made was to use pecans instead of hazelnuts.

Click here for the recipe.

spice-cake.jpg

Published on September 21, 2007

VeggieGirl September 21, 2007 at 1:16 pm

I too love butternut squash – I’ve never had ginger and squash together before… sounds intriguing!

Anna September 21, 2007 at 2:21 pm

Kabocha squash cake sounds pretty tame when you consider Will Goldfarb’s other desserts. Talk about interesting. I think I may try to visit Room 4 Dessert when I’m in New York.

Veggiegirl, ginger and squash go together perfectly. There’s only 1 egg in the recipe, so you could probably do a vegan version pretty easily too. I’m not so sure what would stand in for the white chocolate, though.

VeggieGirl September 22, 2007 at 4:40 pm

no worries – vegan white-chocolate chips exist!! they’re available at veganessentials.com :0)

Kelly September 24, 2007 at 7:52 pm

Anna,

Could you post the recipe for this (ginger-squash cake) for some reason I can’t get the recipe to pull up on the site you provided?
Also, I was wondering if you have a recipe for banana bars with cream cheese frosting? They are similar to these but, I can’t locate a recipe for them? I hope you can help me out on this? Lastly, what Junior League cookbooks would you suggest that are great buys for the recipes?

Many Thanks,

Kelly

Anna September 24, 2007 at 8:14 pm

Hi Kelly,

I sent it to you via email. Still working on that banana bar recipe! As mentioned, I love Austin Entertains and Stop and Smell the Rosemary. But honestly, I’ve never met a Jr. League book I didn’t like.

Lindsey October 2, 2007 at 3:23 pm

Hi Anna
I’m always hanging around on this site- I love it! but didn’t want to leave a comment until I’d made something….first of all I had to track down some measuring cups (we don’t tend to use them here in the UK)- managed to find some so made ginger squash cake at the weekend.
Everyone loved it, it was delicious. We have nut allergies in the family so used raisins instead- I also used a larger tin so the cake was even flatter but I cut it into bigger squares and increased the topping by 50% and it worked out fine. Thanks!

Anna October 2, 2007 at 5:35 pm

Hi Lindsey,

I am happy to hear you enjoyed the recipe. It’s from Bon Appetit magazine and it was developed by Jean Anderson. Another thing I loved about the cake was how well it kept. I stored it in the refrigerator for about a week and the quality didn’t seem to decline at all. If anything, the flavors got better.

Thanks for commenting, Lindsey!