Gingerbread Muffins

by on January 8, 2008 · 17 comments

Fuzz is back in school today and I’m catching up on the usual chores. Instead of cookies, I decided to make something more practical. Muffins seemed like a good idea, and since they can stand in as breakfast or snack, I figured they’d be useful.

Fuzz doesn’t like things suspended in muffins, so I made her a batch of these gingerbread muffins sans raisins and crystallized ginger.  They’re not too sweet and have a nice light texture.  I think the addition of chocolate chips would be great here, but these aren’t my muffins, they’re for Fuzz and they’re supposed to be simple and wholesome.

Okay, they’re not that wholesome, but you could make them a bit healthier by using white whole wheat flour instead of all purpose.  And doesn’t molasses have iron it it??????  I need to go check that.

gingerbread muffin

Gingerbread Muffins

3 cups all purpose flour (383 grams) — lightly spooned and swept
1/4 teaspoon salt (1.25 ml)
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda (7.5 ml)
1 teaspoon ground ginger (5 ml)
1 teaspoon cinnamon (5 ml)
1/2 teaspoon cloves (2.5 ml)
3/4 cup mild molasses (180 ml)
8 tablespoons butter (115 grams)
1/2 cup granulated sugar (99 grams)
1 large egg
1 1/4 cups buttermilk (300 ml)
1/4 cup chopped crystallized ginger (optional)
1/3 cup chopped dates or raisins (optional)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 C). Spray 12 cup muffin tin with flour-added cooking spray.

In a bowl, thoroughly stir together flour, salt, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon and cloves.

In a microwave-safe bowl, combine molasses and butter. Heat on high for 1 minute or until butter is melted. Stir well. Stir sugar into molasses mixture.

In a second bowl, mix egg and buttermilk. Add buttermilk mixture to molasses and stir until blended. Add flour mixture and stir until blended (batter will still be lumpy). If using, stir in crystallized ginger and dates or raisins.

Divide evenly among muffin tins filling all the way to the top. Bake on center rack for 20 minutes.

Makes 12 muffins

Published on January 8, 2008

laura January 8, 2008 at 1:49 pm

I made a similar recipe, but it was cupcakes (which is really just a frosted muffin, right?). I spread the tops with cream cheese frosting–so good!

Elisabeth January 8, 2008 at 4:15 pm

I think molasses has lots of calcium in it. :) These look really good!

Cakespy January 8, 2008 at 4:44 pm

Maybe not “good” for your body, but very good for your SOUL.

Hélène January 8, 2008 at 4:53 pm

These look good! I was wondering if you would be so kind as to take a photo of your molasses??? Well, I’ve had a look in a picture dictionary but I’m not sure I’ve got it right… Last time in the cookies, I replaced it by Golden syrup which is all I can get here that looks similar, but it’s not the same is it?
Sorry to be a pain!

Kim January 8, 2008 at 5:24 pm

I have a few bars of Lindt Holiday Spice dark chocolate bars I got on clearance after Christmas that would taste DIVINE chopped and added to these muffins! I’m inspired!

JEP January 8, 2008 at 6:51 pm

Mmm…look delicious & gingerbread is a perfect winter flavor!

Christie January 8, 2008 at 7:31 pm

Yes, Molasses is a good source of iron just to help “Justify” the whoelsomeness of the muffins. Not to mention ginger is good for infmallation! They looks great. And the picture of you and your daughter is so cute. How do you manage to stay so tiny and eat all those sweets, I too love sweets but would blow up if I ate them all the time!

Anna January 8, 2008 at 8:15 pm

Laura, these would be good with cream cheese icing. However, I think they are lighter than most cupcakes. They seem more like gingerbread in muffin form than like ginger cakes.

Elisabeth, you are right! I checked the label and one tablespoon of molasses has 4% daily requirement of calcium…..so that’s pretty good, I guess….it’s something!

Cakespy, the good news is Fuzz loved them, so that’s good for my soul. She’s picky about muffins, but these passed the test. I’m glad I left out the add-ins.

Helene, most of the British recipes (I don’t have any French ones yet) call for “treacle” so I think your best bet would be treacle. I’m not sure how strong treacle is or whether or not it comes in varying strengths, but I think you’d be fine if you bought a popular brand of treacle. Here, we use molasses. Most people just use what is called mild or unsulphured molasses. Some people, not anyone I know, use “unsulphured” or “blackstrap”. I don’t these types are used in baking much, but rather for other things. If you are in doubt, you could order Grandma’s Brand Molasses online.

Kim, I can’t wait to hear how the ginger/chocolate version works.

JEP, it doesn’t feel very wintery here, but you are right ;).

Christie, good point! The ginger itself is healthy. Inflammation is at the core of so many ailments so ginger is a superstar ingredient ;). And I checked the molasses bottle and it has a decent amount of iron. Oh, I don’t think you’d blow up if you ate the amount of sweets I do. I eat small portions, which is why I tend to like sweets with more fat….they’re more satisfying mentally and physically. The things that do me in are low fat sweets like Snackwell cookies or sugary cereal or granola or other high carb semi-low fat foods….I start eating and can’t stop. But I’m good after a few bites of something super rich.

Alicia January 8, 2008 at 9:06 pm

That looks good. My muffins never come out with such pretty tops! I might give these a try with some chocolate chips.

Katie January 9, 2008 at 3:03 am

As an expat myself, I can tell you that you want to use Lyle’s black treacle to replace molasses. It is slightly thicker, but the taste is basically the same.

Patricia Scarpin January 9, 2008 at 11:08 am

Anna, what a wonderful muffin! It’s so beautifully domed… and I bet it was delicious.

Laura (ljt2r) January 9, 2008 at 12:12 pm

Hey your site is one of my absolute favorite blogs–I figured it was time I left a comment.

The muffins look awesome–I agree with your daughter as I don’t like much suspended in my muffins either. I was wondering what your favorite method was for storing muffins and how long you got them to last?

Thanks, Laura

Anna January 9, 2008 at 12:52 pm

I wish I had six kids so I could make loads and loads of muffins, but I don’t and have to store them. What I do is let them cool completely, wrap them in plastic wrap (Saran Wrap or Glad Cling Wrap) and freeze them.

mariah January 11, 2008 at 6:17 am

I made these tonight, subbing 2 of the cups with Whole Wheat. I also did not add the optional ingredients.

These had a great flavor but turned out so dry that butter was a requirement.

So I just wanted to let y’all know that the WW dries them out.

I will make this recipe again (oh how yummy my house smells!) but next time I will not use quite so much WW.

Anna, I LOVE love your blog. I have tried many of the recipes. Reading it makes me SMILE!

Anna January 11, 2008 at 7:14 am

Hi Mariah,

Thanks for the muffin report! Sorry the whole wheat flour didn’t work out, but it’s always good to experiment. Did you add the dates? I’m curious because I think the dates or raisins add to the moisture too.

My muffins weren’t dry, but they weren’t the richest and moistest muffins either. I think it’s critical to scoop the flour lightly (or weigh it) and watch the bake-time carefully — especially if you plan on leaving out the add-ins.

sam February 20, 2008 at 1:43 pm

Lovely! I have just found your blog and have printed off a few recipes to try! I am particularly pleased to have found this gingerbread muffin one as I like gingerbread, but am not keen on actual ginger (!) or additional bits in my muffins (unless it is chocolate of course!)

Anna February 20, 2008 at 1:55 pm

Hi Sam!

I hope you enjoy the muffins. They weren’t extremely rich, which in my opinion is a good thing when it comes to muffins. I like rich cakes and lighter muffins.