Lizzie

Thanks for all the comments and advice on puppy care. Lizzie’s doing very well and I will be posting more pictures soon.

We had some dog food issues this past week. The vet recommended Science Diet, but Lizzie would only eat it if I smeared it with peanut butter or crumbled homemade meatloaf for dogs on top. That worked okay for a while, but I did some research on dog food and decided to try some foods with less corn and more meat. I thought about ordering Flynt River, but wanted the immediate gratification of buying dog food at the store so I went to a place in town called Tomlinson’s where they have Grade A (human grade, even) dog food.

First I tried California Natural Kibbles. She liked that less than Science Diet and wouldn’t eat it not matter what I put on top. She loved the California Natural soft type.

Next I tried Candidae. She wouldn’t eat it the first day, but something clicked and she decided she did like it but only if I put some California Natural Soft food on top.

So Lizzie’s eating a combination of Candidae Kibbles and California Natural Soft Dog Food. And for dinner, she gets kibbles and home made meat loaf. Todd says I’m spoiling her, but I don’t think so.

Here’s the latest photo of Lizzie. She prefers tile and cold surfaces over any sort of bedding. She also loves central air conditioning and is not fond of hot weather.

Sleepy Puppy

Comments

I can’t get over how much your Lizzie looks like my Sophie. Aren’t they precious?!

I really researched food before we got her, because I wanted one with natural ingredients and not high in corn. We went with Chicken Soup for the Soul dog food. Expensive, but great ingredients. I mix it with a mixture of moist dog food, 3 to 1 ratio, and she loves it.

I also make homemade dog treats. She’s like a second child to me, so only the best!

Dogs are meant to be spoiled. My boys get baby food( one of the meat varieties) on their kibble and they love it.

3. Anonymous says

Too cute! We often find our fluff ball hogging the central air vents in whichever room we are in!

4. Carol A, says

Ack, more cuteness! Lizzie is simply adorable!

Spoiling? Nah. You are just treating her right. I am completely in favor of doting on pets. One more reason to love Anna!

We just bought our two kitties a new cat tree. They are still scoping it out, though. I think we’ll rub some more catnip on it to tempt them.

5. HeartofGlass says

The other ‘tip’ I’ve heard to make dog food palatable is a dusting of Parmesan cheese. I have yet to meet a dog that likes Science Diet, though. The taste of dog ‘health’ food must be where people ‘health’ food was during the 1960s, in the era of granola and unprocessed bran!

My first dog, the half-corgi, was a super picky eater, and although I was against it my mother (the boss, as I was still a kid) made the executive decision just to give her people food. I wonder if the breed is very taste-sensitive. Pretty much all dogs hate the heat because they can’t sweat except through their paws, can only pant and suffer in their fur coats!

6. Lisa says

Yes, as a corgi owner, I can tell you they will find any air vents and park themselves right on top of them. My corgi currently hangs out in our shower stall, where it’s damp and cool.
    I can’t believe you’ve got a fussy corgi! My little girl eats anything and everything, and always seems to be hungry. I feed her California Natural’s Solid Gold Holistic Blend.

7. Rachel B. says

Max, our corgi, also prefers cool spaces–he likes to like near the front door as a sort of doggie draft-stopper when we have the heat on in the winter. He hates rain at any temperature, though, and finds baths absolutely mortifying!

8. Adare says

Yeah! I’m so glad you researched dog food – Science Diet is, ahem, less than ideal, and so many brands (incl. SD) are full of fillers, junk, and corn-based ingredients (yeah, like carnivores tear through cornfields for their meals!)

She is Adorable with a capital A. Keep enjoying that sweetiepie and keep feeding her delicious nummies!

I echo the other poster’s statement: BOO to Science Diet! Despite the name and inflated price, it’s not much better than your bottom-shelf, grocery store varieties. There are many, many wonderful “super premium” foods. One I would recommend is Eagle Pack Holistic. But lately, I’ve switched my itchy dogs to a grain-free food, and they have been doing very well on Wellness Core. As an added bonus, their, um, output, is much smaller and thus, there is less yard clean-up. FYI…

10. Gayle says

Anna, your pictures make me want to get another puppy so badly. Lizzie is adorable and absolutely worthy of “spoiling”. Our two little ones (dogs) are fed Canidae All Life Stages dry and canned. They love it, especially the canned. We put flax oil on the canned food and they still gobble it up.

11. Shan says

We have our dog on the Core line from Wellness that you can pick up at Tomlinson’s. It’s not cheap, but our dog loves it and it doesn’t have alot of fillers in it. We like the Wellness brand, you can find it at Whole Foods, Central Market, Tomlinson’s and a variety of places, but not every place carries the full line.
    When we rescued our dog from Town Lake, she had a variety of skin conditions that were mostly attributed to situation and allergies. We moved her onto Wellness to cut out alot of the stuff the other dog foods have (corn, etc) that could cause reactions.

12. Jessi says

I’m another Corgi owner, and mine is nearly a year old. (I’m also a lurker of your recipes, and I love them all)

With the food deal, no food scraps from dinner. The dogs get too used to it, and as a result, will not eat their own food as willingly.

Also, humans need tons more calories than dogs do, you’ll be VERY surprised as to how few calories dogs actually need. As we all know, extra calories usually just end up as stored fat, and for a corgi, extra fat can really, really hurt. Particularly since their back tends to have the most problems, and extra weight will exacerbate it.

It’s okay to give appropriate fruits (no raisins, etc.) and veggies (no onions, etc.), but not as a part of their meal, just as a healthy treat if they do something good, like sitting or not barking.

Although it may be difficult as a doggie parent, just be insistent on the kibble you give her, she may not eat, and as a result you can increase the treats you give her, but eventually she’ll go for it. We had to do this with our Corgi, and now he just eats up with no problem, except if the kibble is a bit stale if it’s at the bottom of the bag.

Sorry for the long comment, but, I own and have owned a few dogs (And planning on going into Veterinary medicine), and I feel that just giving dogs, dog food as a main part of their meal is the best bet for their nutrition and weight management.

13. julie says

We switched our dog to Canidae from Innova. She has cancer, Arthritis and hip dysplasia – I did EXTENSIVE research and I am convinced Canidae is the best. She is older so she gets the senior food.
    I switched my cat to Felidae at the same time and his Asthma is GONE, as is his Irritable Bowel Syndrome

If you want to look into other better quality and natural products, I recommend Earth Animal- they have a website with their catalogue. Because of the dogs cancer we try to keep her away from chemicals and we use their natural edible flea repellent…they have a whole slew of products

14. jodi says

We had several medical issues with our two dogs over the past year. I finally figured maybe their food had something to do with their medical problems. We switched to Wolf King made by Solid Gold. They also get 3 Omega pills at each feeding. It has really turned things around for them. My vet always comments on how surprised he was that the food/pills worked wonder for their health. My one dog who is 11 still goes to doggie daycare and plays with all the puppies! Good Luck!

15. Anonymous says

How old is she??
    Some breeders/shops tend to sell younger than they should, and so soft food may be what she should still be eating at her age, so you’re not spoiling her!
    My mother raises/shows/breeds yorkies, and when they’re tiny, she actually starts the on baby cereal! sometimes she mixes in those cainned baby meats too. LOL. And to get them used to eating hard foods, she usually mixes it with water to soften it, and they love that. ;)

Thanks for all the dog food recommendations. I’m probably going to stick with Canidae and California Natural for now.

From what I’ve read, dogs digest meat a lot better than they do corn, and corn is the first ingredient in a lot of dog food. But I’m not an expert — just someone trying to feed her dog what what is nutritionally sound and tastes the best to the dog. If I weren’t so concerned with nutrition, I would make all my dog food from scratch because I think it’s fun. However, I think kibble is good for dogs’ teeth and dog food companies add a lot of things dogs need that I might not know to add.

Anonymous, Lizzie is about 11 weeks now. We got her at 6 1/2 weeks which is probably younger than she should have been released from her family. However, the situation was such that we had to take her while we could.

Now if only I could get my cats to eat better. My cat, Morris, lived to be 17 years old on Meow Mix so I feed my cats Meow Mix and as a treat, Fancy Feast. I think they might have reformulated Fancy Feast because the cats just pick at it and walk away now. It’s hardly worth giving it to them, but they expect it and meow incessantly until I put it in front of them.

I looked into making homemade cat food, but that seems to be more complicated than homemade dog food.

17. Star says

We feed our puppy Blue Buffalo and she loves it. It’s got none of that added crap and has real vegetables as well as meat. There are two flavours for puppies…chicken and lamb…and then i think three for adult dogs. You can find it at PetSmart and since we found it there seem to be ads for it everywhere including Martha Stewart Living and Real Simple.