Chocolate Cream Pie Parfait

by on July 9, 2008 · 8 comments

Tonight’s dessert was supposed to be a chocolate cream pie — specifically, this one from Recipezaar. It had tons of good reviews and called for ingredients I had on hand. The pie came together seamlessly and I had a good feeling about it, but things didn’t work out as planned.

The pie filling tasted great, but the crust recipe I used was terrible. I decided to do a little improvisation and crushed up some Oreos, sprinkled them over the bottom of whiskey tumblers, then did my best to neatly spoon the whipped cream and pie filling over the crumbs. The end result reminded me of those little chocolate cream pies they used to sell at Kentucky Fried Chicken. That is, the ones in the little clear plastic cups that looked like pudding but tasted much better. Right now I’m thinking all cream pies should be served in tumblers!

Okay, not really. I’m just glad I didn’t have to throw away the whole pie.

Here’s a picture of it sitting on top of my barbecue grill. Classy!

Chocolate Cream Pie in a Cup

Published on July 9, 2008

Flssgrl July 9, 2008 at 8:39 pm

Works for me!!

Veronica July 9, 2008 at 9:16 pm

That’s the thing about Oreos…they always save the day!

Gina July 9, 2008 at 8:36 pm

I didn’t think anyone remembered those little KFC bucket desserts but me! The chocolate cream pie one was the BEST! Tee hee.

Cathy C July 9, 2008 at 9:38 pm

Great recovery – I remember those from KFC.. Do you think you could make these in the am and serve them in the pm?? These really look great I actually could see serving them in martini or wine glasses as well.

Cheers
Cathy

Anna July 9, 2008 at 10:01 pm

Oreos save the day! Indeed. In. Deed.

I’m glad I’m not the only one who remembers the little buckets of pie. Or were they called parfaits? I wasn’t allowed to get them very often.

Cathy, I’m pretty sure they’d taste good after a day of sitting. Obviously the bottom layer of crumbs would be soft, but that’s no big deal.

VeggieGirl July 10, 2008 at 6:38 am

Nice save with the recipe by turning it into a parfait!!

Joe July 10, 2008 at 9:48 am

Oh my… long long ago right after high school I used to manage a KFC restaurant of all things! I have fond memories of those little buckets.

Anna July 10, 2008 at 9:53 am

Hey look!

The still have them.

According to Wikipedia, they used to be called “The Colonel’s Little Fudge Buckets”. Try saying that out loud without breaking into hysterical laughter. Or is that just a problem I’m having?