Brown Sugar Bittersweet & Milk Chocolate Cookies

Fuzz and I are pretty excited about out trip to Chicago this week. Hopefully, it will be sunny enough to go swimming at Oak Street Beach, but if not, we’ve booked a hotel with a great pool. Fuzz loves to swim and has been taking lessons from a lady who gives private lessons in her backyard swimming pool. She was also the recipient of today’s batch of cookies. I wanted to bake her some chocolate chip cookies, but discovered I was out of granulated sugar and used this recipe instead. The cookies are great! They’re not as crisp as cookies made with both types of sugar, but they have a great flavor and are dense and moist.

brown sugar chocolate chip cookies

Brown Sugar Bittersweet & Milk Chocolate Cookies

1 1/2 cups plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour (7 oz)
3/4 teaspoons baking soda
3/4 teaspoons salt
10 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
3/4 cups firmly packed light brown sugar
1 large egg
3/4 teaspoons vanilla
1 1/4 cup bittersweet chocolate chips
2 (2 oz) milk chocolate bar, broken up

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper
Stir together flour, baking soda, and salt in a small bowl.
Beat butter and brown sugar with an electric mixer. When light and fluffy, reduce mixer speed to low and beat in egg and vanilla. By hand, stir in the flour mixture. Stir just until it is absorbed and be careful not to overbeat. Stir in the chocolate chips and Hershey bar.
Scoop dough up by rounded tablespoons and shape into 1 ¼ inch balls. Drop balls onto parchment lined baking sheets and bake for 12-15 minutes or until cookies appear done – edges should be golden brown.
Let cool on cookie sheets for 5 minutes then transfer to wire racks to cool.
Makes about 20 cookies

Comments

1. Liz says

I can’t remember if you have been to Chicago a lot- but if you get a chance you should take Fuzz to the aquarium. It’s really fun with lots of interactive exhibits and a marine mammal show(it’s my favorite aquarium that I have visited).

Oh and P.S.- I am really excited to try German Chocolate Cake #3!!

You KNOW I’m excited to read/hear about your trip to Chicago, since I just returned from there :-) Keep me posted!!

Those cookies look insanely delicious!

I’m excited to hear all the fun you have in Chicago!
    Cool cookies with just the brown sugar. A good one to know about. I just made the NY Times cookies, again, in two batches, one with all purpose flour and one with the cake/bread flour and both with chocolate chips instead of “disks”. They are practically identical at 20 hours chilling. I’ll try them again tomorrow to see if there is any difference. I used a bunch of different chips, just like your cookie here, some bittersweet chips, some milk chocolate and some semi sweet. I do like how the disks all lay down flat for a “layered” kind of chocolate in the cookie, but the AP flour seemed to have worked great. If someone gave me one of each, I would not be able to tell them apart. Will try to post them soon.

4. judi0044 says

Cookies look great – will have to try them. Hope you have a super time in Chicago and the weather is good. We’ve had constant rainy weather and I think it may be coming out of the mid-west. Pack an umbrella just in case.

5. Anne says

I have a block of 70% dark chocolate in my freezer and am wondering if I could chop it up to make the 1-1/4 cups of the bittersweet chocolate called for in your recipe? I bought a whole 1# bar of the stuff at Trader Joe’s to make Paul Deen’s white chocolate chip cookies with pistachios. I used 1/2 semi-sweet chips and 1/2 chopped dark chocolate instead of the white chips her recipe called for. Well, that recipe was a bust – too much flour/oatmeal and not enough sugar/butter/chocolate. They were really bland and what a waste of ingredients! The recipe is in her current magazine, so people beware . . .

6. Nat says

They look yummy! And one of your commenters has reminded me that I have a hunk of cookie dough sitting in my fridge that should probably be cooked up!
    Why do you use measurements such as 10tbspn butter? Wouldn’t it be easier to have a weight measure? It’s just I’ve never seen it in any Australian recipes, so thought it might just be an American thing?

7. Pamela M says

This looks gorgeous. I haven’t made an all-brown sugar chocolate chip cookie before; so I’ll have to try this soon and see if I like it better than those with a mix of white and brown.

Just so you know, make sure to bring a jacket to Chicago. Even when it’s nice weather out, it can sometimes be a bit chilly at night.

8. Rachel B. says

I’m sure you already have plenty of suggestions/ideas of what to do and so, but I highly recommend: 1) Giordano’s stuffed pizza (aptly named–you feel stuffed after eating it, but it’s SO good); 2) The Hershey Store (WAY overpriced on the whole, but they have a fun bakery section with all different colors of frosting on chocolate cupcakes which taste pretty decent & are not expensive); 3) a Reza’s, a Persian restaurant on the north side of town (just an all-around delicious experience, with generous portions, too).

Have fun!

Rachel, if you happen to look back at the comment section, THANK YOU! We are packing up, so I appreciate all last minute suggestions

I have narrowed the restaurant choices down quite a bit. Frontera is a done deal, #2 must have prime rib, so I’m considering Bandera and #3. is up in the air.

As for Reza’s, I used to eat there when I lived in Chicago. Emma loves Middle Eastern flavors and I’m torn between taking her somewhere like Reza’s (or another Middle Eastern place) or Italian. I’m glad to hear Reza’s is still good.

10. KAF says

I LOVE brown sugar cookies!!
    If you’re looking for a fun place to eat brunch in downtown Chicago I highly recommend “Lou Mitchell’s”. It’s a very fun place with a ‘diner’ atmosphere. They do all they’re own baking. You may have to stand in line a bit to get in, but it goes fast and is totally worth it. Plus you get free donut holes while standing in line waiting :)