Favorite Blueberry Desserts

Yesterday I posted a really good blueberry muffin recipe, but if you’re looking for other ways to use the fresh berries of the season, here are a few of my favorites.  The Nova Scotia Cream Cake is especially good and the Lemon Blueberry Bars are always a hit.  As for the muffins, they are different than the ones I made yesterday — more traditional, no brown sugar, a bit lighter.  Going through my files, I realized I didn’t have a ton of blueberry recipes and only one regular blueberry pie recipe which I unpublished because it needed work.  I hope blueberry prices stay low for a while so I can keep using them.

Sorry this table is a little wonky. I’m still learning how to put image tables in posts.

Blueberry Oatmeal Nova Scotia Blueberry Cake Nova Scotia Cream Cake
Blueberry Muffins Blueberry Muffins   Lemon Blueberry Bars

Comments

1. Rina Shah says

You read my mind! I was looking for recipes to use up some blueberries and ended up making blueberry buttermilk pancakes for breakfast this morning. :)

They all look so good! I have made the Blueberry Sour Cream Bars, and man, they are outrageously delicious! Can’t wait until our fresh blueberries show up at the farmers market – they are amazing! I will be making a few of these recipes then, you can be sure.

3. Maria says

Could you repeat this post with rhubarb recipes sometime? My plant is reproducing like weeds and I’m having trouble finding enough recipes to use it up!

4. j says

Did you ever find the recipe that you were searching for when you posted the Nova Scotia cream cake? You said that ultimately the NS cream cake was more of a cheesecake and not what you were seeking. There are some great blueberry recipes here http://www.terhuneorchards.com/recipe_index.html They have a blueberry bash bakeoff each year!

J, good question. I think I eventually warmed up to the Nova Scotia cake and stopped looking for that other one. I was looking for some kind of Blueberry Boston Cream Pie which a lady at my daughter’s school mentioned.

I wish I liked rhubarb :(. The flavor is good, but I don’t like the texture. If I had it growing in my garden I would learn to like it, but it’s kind of hard to find fresh rhubarb in the stores here, and I’ve never tried to grow it.

Thanks! I was having trouble making the words line up. Maybe they appear lined up on some browsers, but not on others.

8. Louise says

Rhubarb is plentiful here right now. And, it’s season is about the same as strawberries so you can do rhubarb something, strawberry rhubarb something, or strawberry something and they’re all good and seemingly different. :-) Rhubarb’s a perennial plant so it takes a couple of years to really start producing. Mine kind of faded out when shade took over my old vegetable garden. I should find another location where it would be happy.

9. janet says

Love how you are putting several photos together….I always enjoyed your blog site…the new changes are neat, clever, and creative! Thanks!

10. kitty62 says

i have made the nova scotia blueberry dessert SEVERAL times and its great!!!! if you like blueberries …you will love this!!

The trifle looks good. I wonder how many people own actual trifle dishes. I don’t, but when we move I’m going to buy one.

Shannon, my favorite is the one called “Favorite Blueberry Muffins”. If you put that in the search box it should come up.

13. Shannon says

Thanks! I didn’t realize the muffin pictured in this post was labeled “favorite”, but I will definitely try the recipe if blueberries are still on sale this week.

14. Michelle says

Anna, have you tried the America’s Test kitchen/Cook’s Illustrated recipe for streusel topped blueberry muffins? They are the best I’ve found so far. Their technique is very different as they have you cook down half the blueberries into a sauce. It really helps distribute the flavor of the blueberries without having to have so many “chunks”. I’m like your daughter – I’m not as crazy about the chunks anyway. :) I’ve been meaning to make them again and post the picture and recipe, but haven’t gotten around to it. If you are up to experimenting with more blueberry muffins, I definitely recommend giving those a try!

15. Shannon says

Michelle – I’ve tried that recipe and agree it is interesting and definitely different. I like the method of cooking the berries into a sauce, but I wasn’t too crazy about the topping. I found to be a little too sweet for my tastes, but the hubby loved them.

16. Michelle says

Anna, do you have a membership to their site or one of their cookbooks? I can send you the recipe if not. The one I’ve made is the “Best Blueberry Muffins with Streusel Topping”. I’ve made it with frozen blueberries every time. Also, as a note, I use butter instead of oil when I make them. They turn out so yummy.
    Shannon, I wonder if you’d like the other topping recipe they have better. On the identical blueberry muffins recipe that they’ve written for using frozen blueberries, they’ve included a lemon-sugar topping.
    Lemon-Sugar Topping
    1/3 cup sugar (2 1/3 ounces)
    1 1/2 teaspoons finely grated zest from 1 lemon

You might try and see if you like that better! :)

17. joan says

I love this time of year. I can actually afford to buy more than a few blueberries to sprinkle on my breakfast cereal. I made the creamy lemon blueberry bars this week. They were awesome, and disappeared quickly when I brought them to work. I didn’t have lemon juice, so I used bottled key lime juice instead. The filling was quite similar to key lime pie, but the blueberries added a whole new dimension. So yummy!