If your garden is bursting with zucchini or if you’re just in the mood for a good quick bread, here’s our family’s latest, greatest favorite.
It bakes up with a nice dome, is moist without being mushy, and has a “surprise” ribbon of cream cheese running through it.
Just make sure you let it cool for the requisite two hours, otherwise it doesn’t slice as neatly.
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups (15 oz) all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 2/3 cups granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil
- 3 cups shredded zucchini
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease the bottom only of two 8x4 inch loaf pans or line the bottom with a strip of parchment**.
- In a small mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese and sugar until smooth. Stir in the egg and vanilla. Set aside.
- Mix the flour, baking soda,baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg together in a bowl and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, stir together the sugar, eggs, oil, zucchini and vanilla.
- Add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients and stir until mixed.
- Pour about 1/2 of the batter into two greased loaf pans.
- Spoon a line of cream cheese batter down the zucchini bread batter, dividing evenly between the two pans.
- Cover cream cheese mixture with remaining batter.
- Bake in the lower third of the oven for 55 -60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Let cool for 15 minutes. Loosen sides of loaves with a knife, then carefully turn from pan and let cool completely before slicing.