Apricot-Orange Shortbread Bars (Adapted from Julia Hasson's recipe in Bon Appetit)
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time1 hr
Total Time1 hr 10 mins
- 1 cup 240 ml apricot preserves
- 3 tablespoons 45 ml orange liqueur (such as Grand Marnier)
- 1 cup 230 grams unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup 145 grams sugar
- 1 teaspoon 5 ml almond extract
- 2 cups 250 grams all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon 1 ml salt
- 1/4 cup 50 grams almond paste (from 7-ounce roll), crumbled
- 1/2 cup 40 grams sliced almonds, divided
Preheat oven to 325 degrees. F (165 C) Line a 9x9 inch pan with parchment. If making half batch, use a 9x5 inch loaf pan.
Combine preserves and orange juice; Set aside.
In a small mixing bowl, crumble up almond paste and set that aside as well.
In a large mixing bowl, beat together butter, sugar and almond extract. By hand, stir in flour and salt.
Scoop out 1 cup of the flour mixture and add to the bowl with almond paste. Mix this together to form topping. Add the sliced almonds.
Press remaining flour mixture into bottom of lined pan. Spread apricot/orange mixture over top. Crumble flour/almond paste/almond mixture over filling.
Bake for about 1 hour at 325 degrees F. Cut into 32 bars