Fruit Rocks aka Moonrocks
This is a version of Maida' Heatter's "Mrs. LBJ's Moonrocks". The original recipe calls for dates, but I usually substitute cranberries.
- 4 cups sifted unbleached all-purpose flour 510 grams
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon each - cinnamon cloves, allspice, nutmeg
- 8 oz unsalted butter softened (230 grams)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cup granulated sugar 300 grams
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup dark corn syrup
- 3/4 cup shredded sweetened coconut
- 1 cup chopped pitted dates OR dried cranberries
- 1 cup raisins
- 2 cups toasted coarsely chopped pecans or walnuts
- Optional -- small handful of white chips
Sift together flour, baking soda and spices. Set aside.
In a second bowl, beat together softened butter and sugar. Beat in egg, syrup (or molasses) and lemon zest.
Stir flour mixture into butter mixture until combined. Stir in coconut, dried cranberries (or dates), raisins and nuts. Throw in some white chips if you like.
Using a medium cookie scoop or a heaping tablespoon, make about 44 balls of dough. Press down slightly.
Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 18-20 minutes or until the cookies are brown around the edges. As cookies cool, the edges will get very crisp, but the middle stays soft.