Hazelnut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies

by on September 17, 2005 · 7 comments

I first saw this recipe on Epicurious which said it was from the Dec. 2003 Bon Appetit.   These are very rich. They’re kind of crumbly and shorbread-like and packed with hazelnut flavor. Don’t try substituting Nutella. Nutella is good, but for this recipe you need pure ground hazelnuts (hazelnut butter). You can buy it at Whole Foods or you can make your own by grinding up hazelnuts and a bit of vegetable oil in the processor.

hazelnut butter

Hazelnut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies

1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter
1 cup creamy unsalted hazelnut butter
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
12 ounces regular or mini semi-sweet chocolate chips

Stir together first four ingredients. Using electric mixer, beat butter, hazelnut butter, and both sugars in large bowl until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. By hand, stir in flour mixture. Stir in chocolate chips. Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours.

Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Using 1 level tablespoon for each cookie, roll dough between palms of hands into 1-inch balls. Arrange 1 inch apart on prepared sheets. Bake 1 sheet at a time until cookies are golden brown, about 12 minutes. Let cool on sheets on racks 5 minutes. Transfer cookies to racks and cool.

Makes about 4 dozen

Published on September 17, 2005

Randi September 17, 2005 at 2:06 pm

im curious, what do you do with everything you bake? Your neighbors must freaking love you. These look great, I’ll have to try it. Do you know of a good program that can scale down recipes and do nutritional value?

Anna September 17, 2005 at 4:52 pm

Randi, Todd takes cookies to work or I give them to friends. Sometimes, I just freeze them for when company comes. I wish I had a bakery or something so I could bake more.As for computer programs, try Mastercook. It’s great! It scales and does nutrition counts….and much, much, more. http://www.valusoft.com/products/mastercook.html

Joe September 17, 2005 at 5:32 pm

I agree – I really enjoy mastercook! I’m with you Anna on the bakery or like a little cafe or something!

cher48603 September 17, 2005 at 9:22 pm

Anna, I’m just catching up on blogs for the week & read that your recipe was chosen for the SL contest.Best of luck. We’re all pulling for you.Cheryl

Anna September 18, 2005 at 8:06 am

Hi Cheryl!Thanks for the good luck vibes!!The competition is pretty stiff, so I can use all the luck out there :).Did you notice there were lots of Texans this year?http://www.southernlivingcookoff.comYee Haw.

Anna September 19, 2005 at 4:40 pm

Tanvi, the hazelnut cookies were great. Now I’d like to try the almond cookies.

tanvi September 19, 2005 at 4:36 pm

Hi there. I just happened on your blog by following a link from Joe’s blog. You cookies look amazing! I make a similar cookie using almond butter, but hazelnut sounds great. Ill have to try it out.