Soft & Chewy Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Cookies

by on November 7, 2006 · 11 comments

Today’s cookie recipe, which I whipped up in the middle of what has been a rather frenetically paced day, are from King Arthur Flour Whole Grain Baking: Delicious Recipes Using Nutritious Whole Grains (King Arthur Flour Cookbooks), a book I heartily recommend for those who like the idea of slipping in whole grains wherever possible or just want to experiment with some unusual flours. I’ve had fun flipping through it and picking out recipes. Plus, there’s a lot of educational information about various whole grains. I’m actually looking forward to settling down tonight and reading about corn, barley flour, buckwheat and spelt.

But back to today’s cookie. As I mentioned, it’s been busy, so I needed something familiar that I wouldn’t screw up or have to put too much effort into baking. I chose chewy whole wheat chocolate chip cookies. They weren’t quite as chewy or flat as a I expected, but semi-cakey, tender, and crisp around the edge. They do have a nice wheat flavor (thanks to 2 cups of whole wheat flour) and are a lovely shade of brown.

UPDATE — I put a few cookies in the refrigerator. They dried up a bit and became very firm and cold. Personally, I preferred them that way rather than gooey or warm. So if you happen to like your cookies denser and heartier, these will get that way after they’ve completely cooled or have been refrigerated.

kawholewheatforblog.jpg

KA’s Whole Wheat “Chewy” Chocolate Chip Cookies (adapted)

3/4 cup (1 ½ sticks, 6 ounces) unsalted butter
1 cup (7 ½ ounces) packed light or dark brown sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/3 cup (3 ½ oz) light corn syrup or brown sugar corn syrup
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
2 large eggs
2 1/4 cup (9 ounces) traditional whole wheat flour (I used KA Organic)
3 cups (18 oz) bittersweet or semi-sweet chocolate chips (a lot!!!!)

Place butter in a saucepan and heat over medium until it melts and just begins to turn brown. (KA didn’t brown theirs, AG did). Add the brown sugar to the hot, bubbly, butter and turn off heat. Stir sugar and hot butter in saucepan, allowing sugar to dissolve slightly from residual heat. Pour into a mixing bowl and let cool for about 30 minutes (or to room temperature)

Stir in the vanilla, salt, baking soda, baking powder, corn syrup and vinegar. Add the eggs, beating well after each. Add flour, stirring to combine, and then mix in the chips. Cover dough and chill. KA says “overnight” but I do not know why. I chilled mine for 2 hours and that seemed like plenty of time.

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment or Silpat.

Drop the dough be rounded tablespoonfuls onto the prepared baking sheets. Bake the cookies (reversing the pans midway through, top to bottom, bottom to top…if you are baking more than one sheet at a time) until they are just beginning to brown around the edges, 12 to 13 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool completely on the pan. Remove with spatula.

Makes about 4 dozen cookies

Note: KA also says you can add, if you like, ½ teaspoon of espresso powder to the batter. I left this out, but I think it would have been good, had I had it around.

Published on November 7, 2006

Jill November 7, 2006 at 1:31 pm

I try to use a lot of whole grains and this cook book has been tempting me. Both you and Joe (on Culinary in the Desert) have now posted recipes from it and I think my need for this book has been cemented!

And you have just instilled a new need in me – the need for a chocolate chip cookie right now! :-)

Brenda November 7, 2006 at 2:08 pm

I was about to say that Joe has been posting about this book too but I noticed Jill mentioned. I think I will have to get it now…lol!
Question–do you measure your dry ingredients or do you weigh them? I know Alton Brown always weighs his and I’ve been thinking about getting a digital scale for that. What’s your opinion?

Therese M. Bishop November 7, 2006 at 2:17 pm

Hey Anna!

You have made me a new believer to whole wheat in a chocolate chip cookie.
They look yummolicious!
I think King Arthur is a great company, I would love to go to Vermont and take a bread baking class. It is on my retiremnt list of wanna-do’s.
Thanks for the THIS recipe!

Anna November 7, 2006 at 4:40 pm

Jill, I hope you’ve had your cookie by now.

Brenda, I use measuring cups for sugar, but for some reason, I often find myself weighing flour. I also weigh sticky things such as peanut butter and shortening.

Therese, I’d like to go take a cooking class in Vermont too. Someday…

Jackie November 7, 2006 at 6:46 pm

The cookies look great. If you have any coconut in the house you have got to try the coconut scones. They are so delicious. My family couldn’t eat them fast enough and want me to make more.

I really want to make the cake on the cover. The book is in my cook book stand in my kitchen so I see that lemon cake picture every day and I want to taste it!

Like you I feel it can’t hurt to try to incorporate more healthy grains into baking.

Kristin W November 8, 2006 at 3:29 pm

Could somebody please post the coconut scone recipe? I have lots of coconut that I need to use (left over from the pineapple-coconut-graham cracker cake).

Dee October 16, 2007 at 2:59 pm

Thank you posting this recipe online just found it. after I make them and also undoubtedly enjoy them I will definately email on how well they taste. Bon apetit!!!

Andrea January 29, 2008 at 2:02 pm

Thanks for posting this recipe. I’ve made it twice from the book in the last 2 weeks and wanted to add a some comments.

1. 18oz of chocolate chips is NOT 2 cups, it’s 3 as they make these SUPER chip-filled.

2. The espresso powder really does seem to enhance them.

3. The reason you let it sit overnight is so that the bran in the whole wheat softens up, giving it a more tender texture rather then the graininess some people dislike about whole grain foods.

4. Mine took way more then the 12-13 minutes!

But they are AWESOME!

Aloha!
Andrea

Anna January 29, 2008 at 2:15 pm

Aloha Andrea!

Thanks for the comments. You are right about the chocolate chips. I’m going to go ahead and change it to 3 cups.

I haven’t made these in a while. Thanks for reminding me about this recipe.

Claudia April 27, 2008 at 4:21 pm

About the recipe. I believe you are missing the quantity for baking POWDER, as the instructions describe adding both baking powder and soda, but only soda is in the ingredients list. (I guesstimated and added 1/2 tsp of baking powder to the recipe.)

I also made this recipe today. But I used Hodgison Mill Organic Whole Wheat Graham Flour and it didn’t turn out so well. The cookies had no structure and spread out flatter than pancakes. I suppose I should use a plain wheat flour. Lesson learned. However, they did taste good. I should have known something was wrong when they were soupy before sticking them in the fridge. The fridge made them hold together so I thought I was in the clear. Silly me…

Thanks for sharing. I love your blog!

Kelly February 17, 2009 at 11:13 pm

I have this dough in the refrigerator except with M&M’s instead of chocolate chips. I don’t remember the dough being so soft last time so hopefully a night in the refrigerator will get it back to what I remember.