Midge’s Blue & Whites

by on January 28, 2008 · 14 comments

It’s Monday. I have a lot of things to do, but I’ll probably just play poker on Facebook.

Just kidding. But I feel kind of blah and need to get up and moving, so here’s today’s recipe before I go do something productive.

This was sent to me by my new baking friend, Midge, who swapped out blueberries for cranberries in a white chocolate chip cookie recipe. These are easy and unique cookies – perfect for a Monday morning.

I wanted to try the cookies as Midge wrote the recipe, but I had to make a couple of very minor changes. I prefer white chocolate to white chips, so I used a chopped up Ghirardelli bar and instead of 300 degrees F, I cooked these for 15 minutes at 325 degrees F.

Thanks for the recipe, Midge!

blueberry cookies

Midge’s Blue and Whites (Version 1)

2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 t salt
1 c dark brown sugar
1/2 c sugar
8 ounces butter, room temp (2 sticks)
2 eggs, room temperature
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
5 ounces chopped white chocolate or 1 pkg white chocolate chips (I use Ghiradelli)
4 oz. dried blueberries (more or less depending on what you like)

Preheat oven to 300 degrees F (Note: I used 325 degrees F.)

Cream sugars with butter add eggs and vanilla. Sift flour, baking soda and salt together and add to creamed mixture. Add white chocolate and blueberries. Drop by spoonfuls and bake for 10-12 minutes (took me 15 minutes). — Anna

Makes about 48 cookies

UPDATED:

Midge mentioned her cookies were sweet and they are. If you want a fatter and slightly less sweet cookie, here’s another version.

Blue & Whites Version 2 (Thicker and Less Sweet)

1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
9 tablespoons butter — softened
1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 oz dried blueberries
3 ounces white chocolate — cut into chunks

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Have ready two ungreased cookie sheets.

In a medium size bowl, mix together flour, baking powder and salt.

In a second bowl cream butter and both sugars. Add egg and vanilla and beat for 30 seconds.

Add flour mixture and stir with a mixing spoon until well mixed.  Stir in dried blueberries and white chocolate.

Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets.

Bake for 12 minutes. Cool on cookie sheet for 2 minutes, transfer to a wire rack to finish cooling.

Published on January 28, 2008

carole January 28, 2008 at 11:57 am

If you used half blueberries and half dried cranberries or cherries you would have red, white and blue cookies for fourth of July.

Meredith January 28, 2008 at 1:07 pm

I have some milk chocolate-covered blueberries waiting to be used in the cupboard; think they’d be too sweet?

Sister Diane January 28, 2008 at 1:34 pm

OOh – those sound amazing! I wonder if anyone’s making sugar-free white chocolate…

Emiline January 28, 2008 at 2:00 pm

I think this is the first blog I’ve read today, that isn’t lemon meringue pie.

Midge rocks! Blueberry and white chocolate cookies sound good.

Anna January 28, 2008 at 2:08 pm

Carole, that’s cute. Say hi to Velcro for me. I mean “Woof!”

Meredith, I personally would not use milk chocolate, but that’s just me.

Sister Diane, I did a Google search and found a few on-line sources for sugar free white chocolate. Russell Stover might make it too…not sure.

Emiline, thanks. Because now I’m thinking lemon would be really good here. Lemon/White Chocolate/Blueberry.

I wish they made lemon flavored white chips.

Melanie January 28, 2008 at 10:52 pm

I made these tonight (lots of stress = lots of baking!) and I have to say that I don’t love them. I’m not sure if I used the wrong kind of blueberries (from the bulk bin at Whole Foods) or too much white chocolate (a bag of WF 365 brand white chocolate chunks), but they are cloyingly sweet. I would have liked more blueberry flavor and less white chocolate. Maybe next time I’ll use only half or 2/3 the bag of white chocolate chunks, or maybe unsweetened blueberries? I really like the idea of a blueberry/white chocolate combo.

I think the problem is that the tartness of the cranberries in the original version of the cookies provides a necessary counterbalance to the sweetness of the white chocolate. Maybe lemon would be the twist that this recipe needs to take the sweetness down a notch.

In other news, Anna, I’ve tried a couple of your other posted recipes recently.
Super Giant Peanut Butter cookies were a huge hit: http://flickr.com/photos/63342640@N00/2219540161/in/set-72157601819587874/

and the Outrageous Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter were amazing: http://flickr.com/photos/63342640@N00/2219217673/in/set-72157601819587874/

Anna January 28, 2008 at 11:02 pm

Hi Melanie,

Good point about the cranberries balancing out the sweetness. I found these cookies to be sweet, but still very good.

Midge mentioned in an email to me that she sometimes cuts the sugar by 1/4 cup, so maybe you’d prefer them that way.

Thanks for posting the pictures on Flickr!

a. grace January 29, 2008 at 3:15 am

i absolutely love blueberries, but i’ve never had them in a cookie. what a travesty!

Katie January 29, 2008 at 3:46 am

Anna– I just have to tell you that I made the best white chocolate chip cookies in my life last night. I used the Betty Crocker recipe ( 70’s edition) and halved it. I used Nestles supreme white chocolate chips. Also, I used all Crisco and no butter. I know you are not a fan of shortening, but it made AMAZING chewey, soft and just salty enough cookies. My Husband is in hog heaven.

Midge January 29, 2008 at 7:35 am

Just a comment to Melanie: I usually purchase very small sized pre-packaged dried bluberries (Mariani brand found in grocery stores) and chop them up further to get more blueberry taste. Depending on the brand of blueberries, I will cut back on the sugars. I don’t like my cookies too sweet either.

Anna January 29, 2008 at 7:50 am

I used Mariani too. It’s just a matter of taste, I suppose. The cookies with full sugar were sweet, but I didn’t find it objectionable.

I might play around with the recipe a little today.

Anna January 29, 2008 at 7:52 am

Katie, I am okay with shortening. Crisco removed most of the trans-fats so it doesn’t seem as bad as before. I still prefer natural fats like butter, but sometimes shortening really does make for a better texture.

MC January 29, 2008 at 5:33 pm

Oh this is definitely something I have to try! I love white chocolate in cookies!

Kristen July 3, 2008 at 5:13 pm

I have some leftover fresh blueberries. I wonder if I could use them in this recipe? Or should I try to dry them out? Any ideas? Thanks!