Carrot Bundt Cake

by on February 19, 2008 · 13 comments

Last night I had everything on hand to make a Carrot Bundt Cake. Well, everything but applesauce. I made Todd stop at the store and pick some up so I could make the cake and have it ready in time for today’s luncheon. Since it was for an event, I couldn’t cut into it this morning and show you a texture shot, but I did get a little sample at the luncheon and it was very good – probably the best carrot bundt cake I’ve ever made. The original version is from Good Housekeeping, but I improvised slightly with the add-ins.

Try not to be put off by all the oil. It’s a big cake so proportionately, that amount is correct and not so over-the top. That said, I’m not going to bill this as a healthy cake and wouldn’t recommend eating it every day for breakfast. You could try cutting the oil in half, but you’d have a different cake. If you are looking for a reduced fat carrot cake, here’s another one from Good Housekeeping.

Carrot Bundt Cake

2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup applesauce
2 packed cups shredded carrot
1 cup nuts, toasted and chopped walnuts
3/4 cup plumped raisins plus about ¼ cup dried cherries
1/3 cup shredded coconut
Powdered sugar for garnish.

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Spray a 10 inch Bundt pan with flour-added cooking spray.

In a large bowl, thoroughly stir together flour, sugar, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.

In a second bowl, stir together eggs, oil and vanilla extract. Add oil mixture to flour mixture and stir with a mixing spoon until blended.

Add applesauce and stir just until mixed, then stir in carrots, walnuts, raisins (and cherries if using) and coconut. Pour mixture into pan and bake for 1 hour and 20 minutes.

Let cool in pan for about 10 minutes, then flip from pan.

Makes 16 servings

I didn’t try this until the next day (today) and can say that it is indeed a great make-ahead. It might even be better today than yesterday. I didn’t bother with a glaze – just a sprinkling of powdered sugar for garnish.

Published on February 19, 2008

Sue February 19, 2008 at 12:35 pm

Hey Anna! Both of your cakes look delectable. I have a question about the Chips Gone Wild Cookies you posted the other day. If I remember correctly you said you made a half batch and the recipe as you posted it calls for three cups total of various chips, so a full batch would have 6 cups? That seems a like a lot of chips, and before I make them I wanted to double check. Either way this recipe would be good for using up some chips and Rice Krispies that I have in the cupboard.

Melissa from Mass February 19, 2008 at 7:16 pm

Hi Cookie Girl, one of my favorite recipes is similar to this but has a tunnel of cream cheese inside and just a sprinkle of powdered sugar outside. Thanks for your hard work and great site.

Anna February 19, 2008 at 7:33 pm

Sue, 6 cups for a full batch or 3 cups for the half batch. The cookies have lots of chips!

Melissa, I like being called “Cookie Girl”. It sounds so youthful ;). If you’d like to post that recipe here in the comment section, I’m sure a lot of people would love it. I know I would. Tunnels in cakes are the best.

julie February 19, 2008 at 10:22 pm

Hi Anna,

I think I remember you saying something about your daughter and Aqua dots? I was at Michael’s today and I saw a recall sign – something in the coating becomes toxic when mixed with the liquid- THey gave a phone number for replacement dots- I am guessing they have aweb site?

Melissa from Mass February 20, 2008 at 6:48 am

It was easier to find it on google than to dig through my messy recipe clippings so here you go… http://www.vtliving.com/recipes/desserts/carrotcake.shtml

small suggestion, I try to make a tunnel with a spoon for the filling rather than just pour on top. Delicious!

Anna February 20, 2008 at 7:50 am

Thanks for the link! I will definitely make that carrot cake. My mom is coming for a visit soon and I think she would love it.

Noble Pig February 20, 2008 at 1:00 pm

Carrot cake is my hubby’s all time fav. I’m always trying a new recipe so thanks…I’ve never made one in a bundt pan before.

Sarah February 21, 2008 at 4:56 pm

Did you drain the carrot at all for this recipe? Sometimes I find it’s watery, but I didn’t know if the water content would affect this recipe.

I’m so excited about this! It looks great!

Anna February 21, 2008 at 5:17 pm

Sarah, I didn’t drain them.

The only issue I had, and this happens quite often, is some of the shredded carrots turned green. Nobody seemed to mind, but I hate it when this happens.

Sarah February 22, 2008 at 12:35 pm

Thanks for the quick response! I didn’t drain them, and it’s so ridiculously delicious! I didn’t use a bundt pan, however, since I don’t actually own one… It tasted great, thanks for the recipe!

Olga September 30, 2010 at 5:11 pm

Hi.. this looks soo good..Carrot Cake is my favorite cake and you posted it feb 19th .. wich is my birthday.. so i take this as a sign that i must bake this cake..:p what does bound cake means?..i/ve seen it a lot but all i see is they look fluffier?..i tried my wordreference dic.. but couldnt find it :s

Anna September 30, 2010 at 5:30 pm

Hi Olga!

I think “Bundt” evolved from the German word “bundkuchen” which describes a ring shaped coffee cake. Here’s the history of the word.

Olga September 30, 2010 at 6:05 pm