Ruby Red Grapefruit Bars

These would be perfect for a ladies’ luncheon or Bridge group. What? No Bridge group? Well, then you’ll be glad to know this is a half-batch. The original full version is from Group Recipes.

Just so you know, the grapefruit flavor isn’t strong and sour so if you really love grapefruit, you might want to double the amount of zest.

Grapefruit Bars

Ruby Red Grapefruit Bars

CRUST:
1 cup all-purpose flour
3/8 teaspoon salt (omit if using salted butter)
1/4 cup powdered sugar
8 tablespoons unsalted butter

TOPPING:
2 large eggs
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup fresh grapefruit juice (from a pink or Ruby Red)
1 teaspoon fresh grated grapefruit zest
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
2 tablespoons flour
Powdered sugar for dusting

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line an 8 inch square metal pan with non-stick foil or parchment.

Combine flour, salt and powdered sugar. Cut in butter (food processor works well) until mixture is coarse and crumbly. It should be very dry. Press into pan and bake for 18 minutes or until golden brown around edges.

Beat together eggs, sugar, grapefruit juice,and grapefruit zest. Whisk in baking powder, making sure you whisk out any lumps, then whisk in flour. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until set. Cool completely, then sprinkle top with powdered sugar. Lift from pan and cut into squares.

Makes 16

Comments

This is ingenious! These look exactly like my lemon squares but grapefruit. I have always wondered if I could make them in another way. Pefect. Do have a grapefruit tree or something?

2. robyn says

I tried these this afternoon with some ruby-reds that I really needed to use. I increased the zest per your suggestion, and I had high hopes. They came out lovely, and they’re not bad, but they just don’t have the same zip that lemon bars have.

I guess the best thing to do with a ruby red grapefruit is eat it fresh!

3. Tovie says

I’ll have to try these, I love grapefruit.

I have a couple other recipes that call for grapefruit and I do one of two things to intensify the grapefruit flavor. Normally I would use like a frozen condensed version (thawed) of the juice to get a stronger flavor but I’ve never seen condensed grapefruit juice, so I boil the juice and reduce it by half and use that. Or if I have some, I use grapefruit oil, which is a flavoring you can find with candy making supplies (maybe about 1/4 tsp for this recipe).

4. Allyson says

Just tried these and they are really delicious :) I think I’d add a little bit of lemon next time for that citric acid zing, which these are missing. Still, the texture is incredible and I’m having problems not eating the whole pan. Thanks for the recipe!

5. Brenda says

Just wanted to let you know, I made these last week and entered them into a baking contest. The Grapefruit Bars won 1st place! My neighbor gave me a box full of white grapefruit and I used them to make the bars today for Thanksgiving. They were just as good. Thanks for a great recipe!

My son made these tonight… they were yummy! We doubled the zest and then the batter was a little thin so I doubled the flour too. The crust is simple and amazing and I am going to used it for a pudding dessert I have.

Thanks.