Pineapple Cheesecake Squares

by on April 7, 2008 · 15 comments

This recipe is adapted from The Wellesley Cookie Exchange. The original recipe does not call for a food processor, but if you have one, I highly recommend doing the whole recipe in it. Of course, you can always use a pastry cutter and some elbow grease.

These were fabulous and not overly sweet. The orange zest really adds to the overall flavor, so don’t leave it out. As for the pineapple, I used the dried, diced, sugar coated type that you find in the bulk bin. It was pre-chopped, but you could also chop up candied, sugar coated rings which look like this. I plan on making these again soon – maybe with some nuts on top. My only complaint is the top crust is a pale.

Pineapple Cheesecake Squares

Pineapple Cheesecake Squares

1 1/4 cups (190 grams) all purpose flour
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
8 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 tablespoon orange zest
8 oz softened cream cheese
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
½ cup chopped, candied pineapple or dried sugared pineapple

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line an 8 inch square metal pan with foil and spray foil with cooking/baking spray.

Pulse flour, sugar and salt in food processor to mix. Add butter and pulse until mixture has the consistency of cornmeal. Add orange zest and pulse once or twice more. Measure out 1/2 cup and set aside. Dump remainder into pan and press into bottom. Bake for 12 minutes or until lightly browned.

Meanwhile, wipe out food processor or switch bowls.

Process cream cheese and sugar until creamy. Add lemon juice and vanilla and process another 30 seconds, scraping sides. Add egg and process for another 30 seconds. Add pineapple and pulse just until mixed. Pour this mixture over baked crust and spread to ends. Sprinkle reserved crumb mixture over top. Return to oven and bake for another 15 minutes. Let cool completely, then chill for at least two hours.

Grasp foil, lift bars from pan and cut into squares.

Makes about 16 small squares or 12 bars

Published on April 7, 2008

Midge April 7, 2008 at 4:23 pm

Hi Anna,
These look divine. Could you use a can of crushed pineapple drained very well?
Thanks.

Anonymous April 7, 2008 at 4:46 pm

Wasn’t there a pineapple cheesecake bar on the Ultimate Recipe Showdown cookie show? Are these similar? (Of course, it’s entirely possible that I am misremembering!! Too many cooking shows and blogs :) )

Anna April 7, 2008 at 4:53 pm

Midge, I wondered the same thing. My worry was that the pineapple might add too much moisture. I’m not really sure it would work, but the dried candied pineapple worked very well. If you can find it, give it a try! I think the pineapple flavor might be more concentrated.

Anonymous,

Yes! Indeed there was. I was worried that that bar might be too sweet. Also, it calls for macadamia nuts and I didn’t want to deal with that. So I tried this one. At some point, I’ll have to try the Food TV bars.

KAnn April 8, 2008 at 12:42 am

I bought the Wellesley Cookie Exchange about 20 years ago and haven’t looked at it for the longest time…I acquired the Search for the Best Chocolate Chip Cookie about the same time and always think of you when I look through it…do you have that one, Anna?

Noble Pig April 8, 2008 at 7:15 am

Well, it cheered me up and it’s now Tuesday. These look great.

Hendria April 8, 2008 at 7:53 am

oh my gawd… I have to stop working so I can just try all these recipes….. :)

Catherine April 8, 2008 at 8:20 am

Awesome! My youngest daughter LOVES dried pineapple, so I’m making these, stat! Great idea!

Laurie April 8, 2008 at 8:21 am

Thanks so much Anna! I was searching on line for recipes that used dried pineapple (have a big container of it) and couldn’t find much so I am grateful to have this! I am thinking that a little scatting of salty macadamias of the top might be good too! Having the girls over later this week—these will make a great treat! Laurie

Diann (aTxVegn) April 8, 2008 at 8:41 am

Wow, these look wonderful!

Anna April 8, 2008 at 11:04 am

KAnn, I do have that book. I was just reading it the other night. It has a lot of interesting recipes. There are a few that I plan on making one day before I die and others that don’t appeal to me one bit even though they are chocolate chip.

NP, I’m glad it cheered you up. BTW, I have a Chardonnay recomendation for you if you see this. It’s called Kali Hart.

I’d love to hear what you think.

Hendria, work is over-rated.

Catherine and Laurie, I emailed you both and am looking forward to hearing what you think.

Katrina April 8, 2008 at 11:48 am

I have a shindig where I need to bring a dessert on Friday night and want to make these, do you think they can be frozen. I’ve never really tried to freeze anything with cream cheese. Although I know you can buy cheesecakes in the frozen food section. Just wondering what you think. I will probably put some chopped toasted almonds on top–gotta have nuts on everything!

Laurie April 9, 2008 at 7:55 am

Hi Anna! Make them for a girls get together and they were delish! The only changes I made were to add 1/3 cup macadamia nuts to the crust/topping and I used the juice from the orange that I zested instead of lemon juice. The pineapple plumped up and was tender without being wet–the perfect combo! Going to add some unsweetened coconut to the reserved topping the next time I make them. Thanks so much! Laurie

Robin April 11, 2008 at 2:57 am

Wow, these look incredible!!!

Jon May 9, 2008 at 6:29 pm

These bars look really yummy! I discovered this great new cookie site that actually has a recipe for oatmeal cookies *stuffed* with a cream cheese filling — you can find it at typepad.oatmealcookie.com. Worth checking out!

Jennifer September 14, 2008 at 12:27 pm

there was a question about freezing, I’ve had an easy time freezing cheesecakes, so that would work great for these cookies. I’m going to make them with a different fruit, not a huge fan of dried pinapple. Of course I love to eat it fresh!