Magnolia Bakery Peanut Butter Copy Cat Cookies

This morning has been a domino effect of bad baking experiences.

— First, I ruined a cookie by I don’t know how. It just wasn’t good.

— Second, I messed up a brownie by forgetting to add half the flour.

This has happened enough times for me to know that when one thing goes wrong in the kitchen, a series of mistakes will follow and the best thing to do is just clean the kitchen and get out of the house.

But before I get in the car and drive aimlessly around Austin, here’s a picture of one cookie I did manage to pull together. This is a Magnola Bakery recipe which was adapted (of course) by Smitten Kitchen. Since we’ve been discussing trendy NYC bakery cookies, I think you will enjoy the blog entry that accompanies the recipe…..even though it’s old.

My cookies are flatter than Smitten Kitchen’s, but they taste okay, which is the best I could hope for this morning. Now I’m heading out. Maybe to Walgreen’s to look at make-up or to the Goodwill store….

Recipe Here.

Peanut Butter Cookie Magnolia

Comments

these are beautiful, Anna! don’t beat yourself up: I think we all go through a day or two when the best thing to do is indeed to run away from the kitchen, preferably not screaming like a banshee. although I always do.

2. Therese says

Hey Anna!

Oh how I wish I lived by you! These cookies look fabulous! I was having a wreck of the day in the kitchen myself….a runny cheesecake. First attempt at a new recipe….argh! It hurts more when the ingredients are tres $$$$!

Love the Walgreens myself!! It is sooooo fun to shop for makeup there!!!! I love to go with my daughter and take a peek at there stuff!!

Ahh, so sorry about the kitchen mishaps :0( But they happen to the best of us!!

Personally, I think your cookies look better than the original – yum!

Well, they are very good and easy to make.

The other recipe I was working on was a state fair winning peanut butter brownie with a chocolate swirl and peanut butter topping. I had to throw the whole batch away because 10 minutes into baking, I realized I’d left out half the flour. I’ll try that one again tomorrow.

It’s good to know that even a “pro” like yourself has bad days in the kitchen. But Sorry.

There’s nothing that can cure the kitchen blues like a little shopping.

Make rice crispy treats, those are hard to mess up. ;)

The PB cookie looks good. Don’t get me started down that road again!

6. Karen says

I made a lemon poppyseed cake for my brother’s birthday a couple of weeks ago. I poured the batter into the cake pan and wiped a little drop off the rim and licked it. Blecch. In horror I realized I had left out the sugar. I scooped out the batter and added the sugar, but the cake didn’t rise very much and was kinda dense and gummy. Sigh.

I made the dulce de leche cheesecake bars from Smitten Kitchen just a couple of days ago. WOW! Divine. I didn’t use the gelatin and they didn’t need it.

7. Kelly says

Anna, I never made it to Levain Bakery during my stay in NYC. I did manage magnolia though – their cupcakes are not very good. I prefer crumbs. I didn’t try any cookies, but I made it to Eleni’s in Chelsea Market and they had wonderful macaroons! The best dessert I had during my stay was Cheesecake from Juniors! I know they have their own cookbook out but I am not sure if you tried it once or not (maybe I am thinking of someone else?) Anyways, their spongecake crust is HEAVEN! haha :) I am looking forward to trying these!

*Sigh!* Great! I’m glad to know other people have flops in the kitchen! :) Too bad about messing up the cookies and brownies though.

Your photography is so good! Seems like I could just pick cookies right off the computer screen! Maybe because it’s close-up and life-sized.

I bookmarked that recipe when it was on Smitten. I’m glad to hear you liked it too. I hope you try the state fair PB brownies again. I’m sure you’ll have great results on a brand new day…and the weekend’s here–yay!