Oatmeal Sandwich Cookies

by on May 27, 2008 · 9 comments

I wasn’t sure I’d like the rice flour cookies, so to be on the safe side I made a small batch of oatmeal cookies too. The exact origin of this recipe is unknown, but I believe it’s very old. It’s posted on a few recipe sites including Taste of Home, where they have a good photo and some reviews.

The cookies are excellent — soft, flavorful and attractive. Unfortunately they’re made with quite a bit of shortening. Shortening has its pros and cons, but I like recipes where it’s used in smaller amounts or combined it with a little butter. On the other hand, this recipe is inexpensive and the shortening keeps the filling, which does not call for vanilla, snowy white in color. The cookies also hold up well and would be good in a bake-sale situation.

Oatmeal Sandwich Cookies.

Oatmeal Sandwich Cookies

2-1/4 cups flour (scooped – about 11.5 oz)
2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1-1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. freshly ground nutmeg
1-1/2 cups shortening
2-2/3 cups brown sugar
4 large eggs
2 tsp. vanilla
4 cups old-fashioned oats

FILLING:
3/4 cup shortening
3 cups powdered sugar
7 oz. jar marshmallow creme
1-3 Tbs. milk

In a mixing bowl, cream shortening and brown sugar. Add eggs, one at
a time, beating well after each. Beat in vanilla. Combine flour,
cinnamon, baking soda, salt and nutmeg; add to creamed mixture. Stir
in oats. Drop by rounded teaspoonfulsapart onto lightly greased
baking sheets. Bake at 350 for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown.
Remove to wire racks to cool.

Filling:  Cream shortening, sugar and marshmallow creme. Add enough milk as needed to achieve a fluffy consistency. Spread filling on the bottom of half of the cookies; top with remaining cookies.

Makes about 4 1/2 dozen, depending on how big you make the cookies

Published on May 27, 2008

Joe May 27, 2008 at 5:49 pm

A fluff filling… my favorite kind! I think we could have eaten a whole batch after our day today.

Have you used clear vanilla before? It doesn’t have exactly the rich flavor of a pure extract, but it does give depth without any tinting!

VeggieGirl May 27, 2008 at 6:14 pm

I love how the cookies are OOZING with the filling – yum!

Kim May 27, 2008 at 6:39 pm

These look so much better than the strangely addictive Little Debbie oatmeal creme pies! I’ll try them soon.

Carole R. May 27, 2008 at 6:47 pm

Your photos are as good, or better than, as any picture I have seen in TOH or any other magazine.

Anna May 27, 2008 at 7:07 pm

Joe, I’ve never tried the clear vanilla. If I did more cake decorating, I would.

Veggiegirl, yes. They are oozing. They are actually more manageable than they appear.

Kim, there’s a Little Debbie Copy Cat recipe floating around. It’s similar to this, but calls for molasses and a few different spices. It also calls for margarine, which I don’t use anymore since USA margarine still has trans fat.

Carole, thanks!

T. Martin May 27, 2008 at 9:08 pm

Anna,

If you are concerned about the health aspects of shortening consider the one made by Specturm Organics (available at Whole Foods).

Hendria May 28, 2008 at 5:52 am

these look really good. :) Much better than the ones I made last week I found the recipe hmmm thinking where I found it now, I will have to look and let you know….I will not even put them up. I think I will give these ones a try. :)

KEll BEll November 15, 2008 at 6:47 am

AWESOME! My husband took these to work and people were fighting over them.

Bethany January 4, 2009 at 7:11 pm

The filling was absolutely amazing! I made a chocolate chip cookie for it instead but the filling was just perfect! ;-)