Meet Lizzie!

Corgi Puppy

She’s our new Corgi pup and the cutest thing in the world. We named her after Queen Elizabeth who likes corgis and shares our pup’s birthday of April 21. Or at least we think. Lizzie’s birthday is probably more like April 15, but we’ll celebrate in on the 21st anyway.

Unfortunately, Lizzie has some health issues which were diagnosed this morning at a wonderful emergency pet clinic in Austin called AM/PM Pet Clinic. I’ll leave out the details, but its typical puppy stuff and we’re on a treatment plan. Luckily, Lizzie does not have parvo. There’s an outbreak in Austin right now and waiting 10 minutes for the test results was scary.

I’m so happy we found Lizzie. She loves kids, comes when called, and is doing great with the paper training. Thus far, she hasn’t cried much at night, but I’ve had a hard time falling asleep because I keep waiting for her to call. It’s a big flashback to Fuzz’s babyhood and rather emotional, as Fuzz was up all night and needed constant holding.

Lizzie likes to be held, but she would rather run around, play tug, chase her ball or go to sleep on the floor under my desk. Here’s a photo. One thing I can tell you is puppies are harder to photograph than cookies!

Comments

1. Sue says

Ohhhhh!! She’s adorable!! Now you’re going to have to add doggie treats to your repertoire.
    :-)

We have an allergy dog, so no homemade doggie treats for him, although I do have recipes!

2. Rachel B. says

How adorable! We have a corgi, too, named Max. They’re terrific dogs–lots of personality and quite clever. Though with their short legs and stocky bodies, we often get questions like, “What happened to your dog?!” from concerned children. Fortunately, their dwarfish dimensions are entirely natural, and part of their appeal!

Awwww! We got our first corgi pup in December and we LOVE her! They make the absolute best pets and you will never look at another breed again :) Enjoy her!

4. Dana says

What a doll!! My dad has a corgi named Ceri (“keeri”–Welsh name meaning love). She’s an adorable dog, great with kids. Enjoy the new member of your family!

5. Lisa says

Adorable! We have a 6 year old Corgi who is the light of our life. They have an amazing sense of humor and are so smart.
    I’ve long been a fan of your site Anna and feel a kinship in your love of baking. Now I see we have another passion in common!

6. Carole R. says

Lizzi is beautiful!!! I bet that Fuzz loves having a doggie sister.

When we were out this afternoon we bought Velcro a baby pool. Get one for Lizzi but just fill it with a few inches of water. I am sure she will love it on hot summer days.

She has the same coloring as Velcro.

7. Janet says

Really happy that you all found a darling puppy! She is precious looking. Congratulations!

8. Sarah says

Oh my gosh, well congratulations! I know you’ll have so many wonderful and happy experiences with her, and so will Fuzz! I’ve always remembered my childhood pets as some of my best memories:) P.S. find a consistent hiding place for your shoes. I still mourn my 1st pair of glittery Stuart Weitzman heels, lost to my puppy Bluegrass (a Great Pyrenees)!

9. Carole R. says

Sarah, Velcro got a pair of Stuart Weitzman and a pair of Bruno Magali. Plus she ate my sofa and two remote controls.

She only easts expensive shoes. She would not be caught dead knawing a pair of K-mart flip-flops.

10. Amy D. says

I am not even a dog lover (please forgive me!) and I think she is the cutest!

11. Denn says

Corgis are the cutest puppies. She’s going to recover just fine and be a great addition to your family….EVERYONE needs a dog, they keep you humble. We want more pictures!

12. Sue H says

She is TOO CUTE! Yes, aren’t puppies just hairy babies? Keep those pictures coming.

that is, quite possibly, the most adorable pup i’ve ever seen. i love corgis! you must post more pictures of her!! (pretty please?)(with a cherry on top?)(two cherries?)

14. HeartofGlass21 says

My first dog was part Corgi, when I was Fuzz’s age–they are, like most of the herding dogs (Border Collies, ‘Lassie-style’ collies, Shetland Sheepdogs) some of the smartest breeds in the canine world because they were bred to do such complicated tasks (herding animals, helping farmers–think “Babe”). Soon she’ll be herding all of you around the room.

I am so excited for your family–guess the next cookie has to be some English Flapjacks or scones in celebration of the pup’s origins :)

Thanks for all the comments on Lizzie! I can’t respond to all of them individually today, but am really enjoying reading them.

It’s amazing how many of you have Corgis. I like all kinds of dogs, but there’s something special about corgis. I think I like their sense of humor.

On a different note, Randi, thanks for the Chowhound thread! This is a good one on “favorite home baked cookies”.

Awwwwwww – what a little cutie and those sad little eyes. I have two black and white Shih Tzu’s and I showed them Lizzie’s picture. The male said “hubba hubba” and the female said “can Lizzie come for a play date?”

She’s absolutely adorable! I can’t wait to hear more stories about her. Enjoy the new addition to your family!

Cute puppy!! I’m excited for my 2nd dog to be growing OUT of the puppy stage – God makes them cute for a reason! Ha!

Enjoy the new addition!

19. Lisa says

OMG she’s soo cute!! They are wonderful pets. My mom ( a queen herself) has had many now.

Did you get her from a breeder near you? I’ve been looking for a reputable breeder here in dfw-land.

We too have a Corgi, who just turned four. We love him so much, they have so much personality. I look forward to seeing pictures of yours as she grows!