Chocolate Malt Sandwich Cookies from Martha Stewart

by on July 5, 2008 · 18 comments

Today I made a quick batch of cookies to take as a hostess gift this evening. The recipe came courtesy of Martha Stewart and can be found here and in the new Martha Stewart Cookie Book.

The cookies are delicious and since the recipe is from Martha, I decided to pack them in one of the Martha Stewart branded cookie towers. The cookie tower came out a bit lopsided, and this could pose a problem as the person I’m giving this to is an actual building inspector — but I think the deliciousness of the cookies will outweigh the imperfections of the tower.

I followed the recipe as written and didn’t make any changes, but here’s something I noticed when making the filling. Unless you let the chocolate/butter mixture cool completely, it might very well be a bit runny. Mine was, so I chilled it in the refrigerator then fluffed it up with an electric mixer. That worked just fine.

martha-stewart-cookies

Published on July 5, 2008

VeggieGirl July 5, 2008 at 12:22 pm

What a fabulous hostess gift; and hey, despite the tower not being “perfect,” the cookies’ taste WILL be amazingly perfect :0)

Clumbsy Cookie July 5, 2008 at 1:18 pm

Does this mean that if I invite you over for dinner you’ll bring these cookies?! Are you free tomorrow?

Emiline July 5, 2008 at 2:10 pm

Those look amazing! Have fun at your party.

Laura C July 5, 2008 at 2:25 pm

I keep looking at that recipe in the cookie book. I even have it saved in “my collections” on the MS website. I love malted milk balls. Were they delicious or what?? They certainly look good.

Anna July 5, 2008 at 2:36 pm

These were really good! One thing I forgot to mention was that I used sour cream instead of the creme fraiche.

Also, it’s worth it to use really good chocolate in the filling because the filling uses a full 10 oz!

And finally, the cookies start out on the gooey side, but set up nicely. I put mine in the refrigerator and they are now quite firm and sturdy.

Katy July 5, 2008 at 3:15 pm

Very similar to a recipe I like in Dorie Greenspan’s Baling at Home. She uses the batter to make big drop cookies that are filled with loads of coarsely chopped Whoppers. Always a huge hit.

Joe July 5, 2008 at 3:55 pm

Fantastic – you know I love anything malt-flavored! Are the cookies soft/cake-y or kind of crisp Anna?

PS – Did you know that the picture is clickable, but it takes you to a page that is unknown?

Anna July 5, 2008 at 4:01 pm

Katy, Nancy Baggett has a similar one as well.

Joe, it’s not supposed to link to anything, but it shouldn’t be clickable either. I’m just learning a new version of Wordpress, so thanks.

These are definitely not crisp, but they are not cakey either. I’d say soft and chewy.

Cathy - www.wheresmydamnanswer.com July 5, 2008 at 4:47 pm

Soft and Chewy is the perfect blend – These look so rich and yummy. I would put them on a plate with a big scoop of ice cream on top!!

Cheers
Cathy

Joe July 5, 2008 at 4:55 pm

Soft and chewy works for me! Good to know about the pictures – the cheesecake picture also clicks to an unknown page!

Carrie July 5, 2008 at 7:43 pm

Anna-
I can’t wait to try this recipe. I recently made your chocolate stout cake (as cupcakes) and just this Wednesday made the Creamy Lemon Blueberry Bars. They were a hit! Thanks for the new ideas and inspiration.

HeartofGlass July 6, 2008 at 3:38 am

The comments page for this recipe on the Martha Stewart website was really weird.
They look almost like brownies!

HoneyB July 6, 2008 at 6:41 am

Yummy! I have her new cookbook also and have made two recipes from there. The next one I plan to make (hopefully this week!) is the Chocolate Surprise cookie!

Denn July 6, 2008 at 12:56 pm

These were the first cookies I made from the book. We really liked them and they disappeared fast. I also used sour cream but didn’t have any “good” chocolate and used morsels. Still, very tasty. That Martha knows her stuff.

Melissa July 6, 2008 at 4:10 pm

I love the packaging for those cookies! so cute!

rebecca July 6, 2008 at 7:05 pm

oh dear goodness. those sound amazing. i think it’s time to find time for baking again . . .

Tanya July 7, 2008 at 6:01 am

I love anything chocolate, and anything from Martha. These look great!

Natalie July 7, 2008 at 10:10 am

Malt is my favorite! Sounds like a great recipe…I need to make it sometime soon.