Chocolate Muffins with Sour Cream

by on September 17, 2008 · 11 comments

I took the day off yesterday, so to make up for it, here’s a bonus recipe adapted from something I found on Recipelink.

The muffins were good, but I used white whole wheat flour and I believe that made them a tad bit dry – not in a bad way, just different. It’s probably best to just stick with all purpose.

Chocolate Muffins

Chocolate Muffins with Sour Cream

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, lightly spooned and swept** (190 grams)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt plus an extra 1/8 teaspoon
5 ounces semisweet chocolate (chocolate chips okay – use 4 oz (3/4 plus 1 T.)
2 ounces unsweetened chocolate
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
3/4 cup sour cream
2/3 cup packed light brown sugar
1/4 cup golden syrup (corn syrup okay)
1 large egg
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line 12 muffin cups with paper liners.

Sift together flour, baking soda and salt.

Melt both chocolates and butter together in a heat-proof bowl set over barely simmering water. Allow it to cool to warm before using.

Mix sour cream, brown sugar, syrup, egg and vanilla in a mixing bowl. Stir in cooled melted chocolate. Add flour mixture and chocolate chips and stir until blended.

Divide batter evenly among cups – it should come almost to the top (not quite). Bake at 400 degrees F for 18-20 minutes.

**I used white whole wheat flour which weighs a little more. If you use white whole wheat and are measuring by volume, use 1 ½ cups minus 1 tablespoon.

Published on September 17, 2008

JenJen September 17, 2008 at 4:15 pm

Sounds scrumptious! I will have to try it out! Thanks for the Martha Stewart tip — that was cool that people were in the audience and leaving comments on your blog from the show! WOW.

Katrina September 17, 2008 at 4:38 pm

Hmm, I could try it, but I have a ton of plain yogurt I need to use, should I sub. it for the sour cream? I could moisten it up a bit by also putting a banana in there!
I LOVE a muffin, the boys usually eat one or two (I always make minis) when they are fresh and then don’t seem to eat them after that. I want to make these and I could just give them away. I could try both ways, with sour cream with the all purpose flour and with yogurt and the banana and compare the two. It could be a fun experiment! Just wish I could get to it right now….oh yeah, dinner is just about done. Better feed my boys.

Carrie September 17, 2008 at 6:35 pm

Hi Anna,
Thanks for posting these. How do you think they compare with the chocolate yogurt muffins you posted earlier this Summer? They are my all-time favorite muffin so I’m wondering how these compare. Also, would the baking time be the same if you made them into minis?
Thanks,
Carrie

Anna September 17, 2008 at 6:55 pm

Jen, it was definitely fun to hear from bloggers in the audience!

Katrina, let me know how you end up making the muffins. One thing I was interested in doing was substituting banana or applesauce for the eggs and making the muffins vegan.

Carrie, this particular batch tasted good and looked good, but because I used the white whole wheat flour, I think they were a bit dryer than the yogurt muffins. But I did like these a lot. I need to give them a second try with all purpose, as I think that will make a big difference. I also forgot to add the extra 1/2 cup chocolate chips. I loved the yogurt muffins too, but these are different.

As for minis, I don’t know. I’d try cooking them at 375 for 15 minutes.

Sara September 17, 2008 at 9:13 pm

I literally just pulled Dorie Greenspan’s chocolate muffins out of the oven, they’re similar to this recipe but they use buttermilk.

Sunday Baker September 18, 2008 at 5:11 am

It seems that whenever I make a baked good with sour cream, I love the texture. It’s always just right. These look great!

Jennifer September 18, 2008 at 11:04 am

So many people with chocolate muffins in mind?
I just bought the ingredients to make the chocolate yogurt ones that Carrie mentioned above. Now I’m curious about the Dorrie Greenspan ones, too, I love baked goods with sour cream or buttermilk, they always come out so moist.

Natalie September 19, 2008 at 9:58 am

These look really good. I love using sour cream for baking. It makes everything so moist!

snookydoodle October 1, 2008 at 12:35 pm

I m searching for a good basic chocolate muffin recipe. These look so nice I m giving them a try.

Muffy February 19, 2009 at 12:45 am

I have now tried this recipe several times. Everyone loved them.

Here are my observations:
1- Golden Syrup seems to work better for moistness than corn syrup when straight from the oven. However, after about 12-18 hours, the corn syrup muffins seem to lose some of the initial dryness/crumbliness and get a very nice texture.
2-My mixture always yields MORE than 12. Usually I get 16 (I am using one of two standard pans, 2½ X 1¼ or 3 X 1½), but counts have varied from 14 to 18.
3- I always add more chips at the end. I double up here, using a full cup.
4. After playing with the additions and flavorings, I have had luck with these combos:
a) Use ½ C each Semisweet and Cappuccino Chips*. Or Omit Semisweet Chips and use only [1C] Cappuccino Chips*
b) Use ½ C each Semisweet Chips and Cinnamon Chips#. Or, as above, use only [1C] Cinnamon Chips#.

For St. Patrick’s Day, I plan to use green mint chips@ as my additive.

*Made by Guittard, available in stores, on-line,
#Mini chips on-line at King Arthur Flour site. Full-size by Hershey MAY be in store, hard to find (best bet also on-line).
@Also by Guittard, in specialty stores and on-line.

Anna February 19, 2009 at 7:18 am

Hi Muffy,

Thanks for the tips! I haven’t made these in a while, but next time I’ll try them with a few of your suggestions.