Mini Mexican Chocolate Streusel Cake

by on September 11, 2008 · 13 comments

This recipe is an old favorite from Rick Bayless – author of several Mexican cookbooks and owner of Chicago’s Frontera Grill and Topolobampo. The original 13×9 inch recipe can be found here, but you can also do what I did and make a “mini” version using an 8 inch square pan. This is the mini version.

Mexican Chocolate cake

3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons(4 ounces) all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon baking powder plus 1 pinch baking powder
4 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
4 ounces (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/3 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs, at room temperature
Powdered sugar, for dusting the finished cake

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray an 8 inch square metal baking pan with flour-added cooking spray.

Make streusel first. Pulse half of the Mexican chocolate in a food processor until it is the consistency of coarse crumbs. Remove and set aside for the batter.

Add remaining Mexican chocolate to processor and pulse to coarse crumbs. Mix the egg yolk and 1/4 teaspoon salt (if using salted butter, omit the salt) in a small bowl to dissolve the salt. Add to the processor along with the 3 ½ tablespoon butter and ½ cup flour. Pulse until you get a coarse, crumbly mixture – not a paste! Set aside.

Now make the cake. Sift together the 4 oz flour and baking powder; set aside.

Beat the butter and cream cheese together, then beat in sugar. When light and fluffy, beat in the eggs one at a time beating for 30 seconds after each egg.

Add the sifted flour mixture, scrape down the sides of the bowl and beat just until the flour is incorporated (I do this with a spoon – don’t overbeat).

Stir the reserved chopped chocolate into the batter.

Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and smooth. Crumble the streusel topping evenly over the batter, making sure there are no large lumps.

Bake in the center of the oven until springy (the edges will have just begun to pull away from the sides of the pan) and a wooden pick inserted at the center comes out clean, 35 to 40 minutes.

Cool on a wire rack. Serve warm, dusted with powdered sugar, or serve at room temperature.

Serves 6

**This is a line I use quite often with my Fuzz. As in
“If I didn’t make you clean your room, well, I wouldn’t be doing my job.”
“If I let you talk to me like that, well, I wouldn’t be doing my job.”
“If I let you turn that into your teacher, well, I wouldn’t be doing my job.”
“If I let you eat spaghetti with your fingers, well, I wouldn’t be doing my job.”

Published on September 11, 2008

Joanna September 11, 2008 at 9:07 pm

I just had my second cup of hot chocolate and this is like chocolate overkill… in a good way! I’ve never cooked with Mexican chocolate before. I saw Bobby Flay do it once on Throwdown. This looks amazing though, and I can see how dense it is… almost brownie-like.

Joe September 11, 2008 at 9:10 pm

Have you tried the Mexican Chocolate Pecan Pie Bars from Rick? We made them back in ’06 and I still remember them.

KAnn September 11, 2008 at 9:54 pm

I’ve been thinking about trying this recipe for a long time now…yours looks fabulous. I have become such a fan of chocolate and cinnamon. Maida has an incredible recipe for a Mexican chocolate refrigerator cookie that has become a T&T for me.

Sara September 11, 2008 at 10:30 pm

I have one of Rick’s cookbooks, but so far I’ve only tried the savory recipes. There are some interesting ones, like a coconut tart made with fresh coconut. I need to pick up some mexican chocolate.

Lisa September 11, 2008 at 10:39 pm

You are SO dutiful, Anna! I love that. To be honest, I didn’t even read the previous post when it came up on my reader (I’ll get back to it) because I have such a backlog, and c’mon! It wasn’t a dessert! So glad you feel your responsibility so deeply! And I’m TOTALLY going to use “If…..then I wouldn’t be doing my job” thing with my kids. I’ve sort of said, “It’s my job to teach you…” “Mothers are supposed to…” but yours is so much better! Thanks for that. And the cake looks/sounds superb! Pretty positive there’s no Mexican chocolate in Poland, though. :(

Emiline September 12, 2008 at 1:05 am

This looks good.
When I think of Mexican chocolate, I think of this woman:

I think she’s spooky.

clumbsycookie September 12, 2008 at 2:11 am

Yay! You’re keeping up with the international themed week! ;)
I’m glad you’re doing your job right and provided us with a dessert! I’m quite sure I would like that cake, I’m all for chocolate and spices.

VeggieGirl September 12, 2008 at 6:37 am

Oooh, yum!

dawn September 12, 2008 at 6:56 am

This is flavor-wonderful indeed! Oh I must make this.
You are killing me here.

Kim September 12, 2008 at 7:10 am

Looks delicious! Where I can I find the 13×9 recipe?

Anna September 12, 2008 at 7:27 am

Joanna, I think I’m going to look up some other ways to use Mexican chocolate in baking. I’ll let you know what I find.

Joe, I saw your post on those. I’m not sure why I didn’t try the recipe back then, but it might have been because I don’t like pecan pie and chocolate combined. I like them separately, but not together.

KAnn, I think I’ve made Maida’s Mexican chocolate refrigerator cookies. I need to double-check, but I vaguely remember making them.

Sara, I have both of Rick’s books. I would cook out of them more often, but Todd doesn’t like melted cheese nor beans nor tortillas. If I was married to someone who liked Mexican food, I would have cooked my way through that book by now. That said, Todd does like salsas, tortilla soup (just not flour tortillas) and flavorful meats, so I can find something. But he doesn’t like cilantro, so what’s the point. Fuzz likes all that stuff, though.

Lisa, good luck using the “I wouldn’t be doing my job” approach on your kids. It sort of works on some days ;). What? No Mexican chocolate in Poland? That is absolutely shocking. LOL.

Emily, I think the woman looks sweet and kind. Don’t you like grandmas? Now when I see that chocolate, I’m going to think of la abuelita crying because you said she was spooky.

Rita, It would have been better if I’d given the Oreo Brownies and the Potato Quiche international names too. Hmmmmm. Do Oreos have an ethnic affiliation? No? Maybe I’ll just use “Texas Style Oreo Brownies” since I live in Texas and they sell Oreos here. The quiche is easy. “Spanish Style Baked Tortilla” since Spanish tortillas are actually egg/potato omelet things. That would confuse the rest of the world, though.

Veggiegirl, this would be impossible to veganize :(.

Dawn, let me know if you try it.

Kim, thanks! I added the link to Frontera’s site where they have the full recipe. It’s also widely available on other recipe sites via Google.

Dana September 12, 2008 at 7:43 am

Thanks for this recipe! I’m a *huge* Rick fan, and have been cooking alot lately from “Mexican Everyday”…when I can find the right ingredients, which can be tough here in IA…
I’ve bought Mexican hot chocolate powder before, but I don’t think I’ve ever seen the Mexican chocolate…

Randi September 13, 2008 at 11:32 am

I’m going to make this right now. I have a bunch of Mexican choc and cream cheese. I’ll let you know how it comes out.