Vanilla Bean Banana Pudding

by on October 9, 2008 · 13 comments

My dad came over for dinner tonight so I made banana pudding. I love making banana pudding, but don’t get to very often because Todd & Fuzz don’t like bananas. Tonight I made it anyway thinking that if the other components were good, the banana haters could just eat around the bananas…..and that’s what they did.

The recipe is from the Southern food writer, James Villas. It’s very similar to the one on the box of Nilla wafers, but it calls for whipped cream instead of the traditional meringue topping. The vanilla bean makes it extra special.

banana pudding

Vanilla Bean Banana Pudding

1 vanilla bean
2 cups whole milk
1/3 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 large egg yolks, beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup whipping cream
12 oz package Nilla Wafers
5 (or so) bananas

Scrape out inside of vanilla bean and put scrapings in a large (2 cup) glass measuring cup. Add the milk and microwave for 2 to 3 minutes to scald – keep an eye on it. You don’t want it to boil over.

Combine flour, sugar and salt in a heavy saucepan. Turn heat to medium and gradually whisk in scalded vanilla milk; continue whisking over medium heat until mixture begins to thicken. Stir 1/4 cup milk mixture into egg yolks, then gradually add egg yolk mixture to saucepan, whisking all the while. Continue whisking until mixture is thick and coats spoon – this should only take a minute or two.

Remove from heat and let cool slightly. Stir in vanilla extract. Pour into a bowl and let cool to room temperature.

Beat whipping cream to stiff peaks. Fold half of whipped cream into vanilla mixture.

Assemble pudding. Line a 2 quart dish (I use an 8 inch square Pyrex dish) with Nilla wafers. Slice bananas and cover Nilla wafers with banana slices. Spoon half of the pudding mixture over bananas. Repeat, layering Nilla wafers, banana slices and remaining pudding. Spoon remaining whipped cream over top. Break some Nilla Wafers in half and arrange them around the perimeter to make a little border.

Chill for a few hours or until ready to serve

Published on October 9, 2008

Maris October 9, 2008 at 9:21 pm

This looks delicious! I recently started liking bananas a lot – Stonyfield Farm even has a low-fat banana vanilla yogurt. The flavor is called “Banilla.” Hehe!

Katrina October 9, 2008 at 9:27 pm

I can’t imagine not liking bananas. They are in my everyday! I had a roommate that loathed them. We would tease her with them a lot. This looks darn yummy to me. Kevin doesn’t care for them all that much, never just eats a banana, but if I make a dessert with them, he’ll eat it.

VeggieGirl October 10, 2008 at 5:43 am

Banana pudding is such a comfort food classic dessert – yum!!

I can’t go ONE DAY without bananas, so I can’t imagine hating them, haha.

Joanna October 10, 2008 at 6:42 am

My mouth just dropped when I saw that picture. How good does that look??!?!?! Bananas are my favorite fruit ever. EVER.

Mary October 10, 2008 at 7:53 am

Anna, this looks really, really good and seems easy to put together. Thanks for sharing.

Sara October 10, 2008 at 8:49 am

This looks really delicious. My go-to banana pudding recipe has been one from cooking light with a meringue topping, but it has its flaws.

Tina October 10, 2008 at 8:50 am

Oh my, I need to do some baking ASAP! YUM!

Cathy - wheresmydamnanswer October 10, 2008 at 9:35 am

OK now that is my kind of pudding – this looks so damn yummy!!!

Lisa October 10, 2008 at 12:15 pm

Yummy! I would much rather have the whipped cream than the meringue topping.

Stephanie October 10, 2008 at 5:43 pm

This looks horribly good…you know I think the thing people forget about banana creme pudding is how amazing NILLA wafers are. They’re so simple that everyone forgets how delicious they are. Yum!

Carolyn Jung October 10, 2008 at 6:20 pm

Wow, a gourmet version of a beloved diner staple. The vanilla bean sounds like an inspired addition, too. And personally, I’ll take whipped cream over meringue any day.

Karen October 10, 2008 at 7:26 pm

I’m guessing you got those vanilla beans you ordered from ebay a little while ago! I might have to get some.

Average Jane Crafter October 11, 2008 at 3:24 pm

Glad to hear it turned out so great! It looks amazing! I’m a *huge* fan of banana pudding, so this looks like one even I’ll try to make! ;) YUM!