Double Chocolate Nutella Cookies

by on February 10, 2009 · 22 comments

I wasn’t sure there would be a new cookie today. Nothing seemed interesting, plus I found some Hobnobs in the freezer and just wasn’t that motivated. I guess the Hobnobs didn’t cut it, because later in the day I started craving cookies again and ended up making these double chocolate cookies with Nutella.

Nutella Cookies

My big concern was that the Nutella wouldn’t be detectable since it’s baked into the dough. In my opinion, Nutella is best straight or stirred into things where it’s the main chocolate. Well, forget my opinion because in this case it was very good stirred into the dough. The hazelnut flavor was still fairly subtle, but the Nutella gave the cookies a great soft fudgy texture. And anyway. There are actual hazelnuts in the cookie to let you know they’re nutty.

Hazelnut Cookies or Double Chocolate Nutella Cookies

2 cups all purpose flour (9 oz)
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1/2 cup chocolate hazelnut spread (Nutella)
3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 cup bittersweet chocolate chips.
2/3 cup chopped, toasted hazelnuts

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper.
Mix together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
Cream the butter with the Nutella and both sugars. Beat in the eggs and vanilla. Add the flour mixture and stir until it is incorporated, then stir the chocolate chips and hazelnuts. Drop by tablespoons onto cookie sheets and bake for 10-12 minutes. Cool on cookie sheet for a few minutes then transfer to a wire rack to cool.

Adapted from “Wallflower” at Better Recipes

Published on February 10, 2009

cookienurse February 10, 2009 at 7:13 pm

Can’t wait to try these!!

Pearl February 10, 2009 at 8:15 pm

mmm :)

Elyse February 10, 2009 at 8:42 pm

First of all, chocolate-coated hobnobs are one of my favorite cookies. I got spoiled studying in London and having them around me all the time. Not as easy to find in the States!

Secondly, these cookies look fabulous. I was just browsing for a chocolate cookie, and yours has me sold! Mmmm, they sound delicious!

Katrina February 10, 2009 at 8:44 pm

LOVE Nutella. It was World Nutella Day last week. Love fudgy, totally nuts for nuts. Sound like a winner!

Anna February 10, 2009 at 8:58 pm

Cookienurse, they’re worth it!

Pearl, yes. Mmmm. ;).

Elyse, I love Hobnobs. Todd got me these for Christmas and I put them away in the freezer and forgot about them. They still taste great!

Katrina, I felt bad about missing Nutella Day.

Jessica "Su Good Sweets" February 10, 2009 at 9:39 pm

Thank you, thank you. I find that Nutella disappears when you bake with it, and the product comes out weirdly chewy. Thanks for posting a solid recipe.

Carole R. February 10, 2009 at 9:44 pm

You could spread Nuteella on spinach and I would like it.

jenjen February 10, 2009 at 11:57 pm

Ohhn Nutella! Could it be the wonder food? I have some nephews who live on Nutella. I will have to make those cookies for them. They will be in heaven!

Have a great night!

Jen

Debbie February 11, 2009 at 12:18 am

We love Nutella at our house, and these sound delectable! We also got hooked on the chocolate-covered Hobnobs after having them in London. Guess where I find them now, Anna? Long Grove! It’s the only place I have ever seen them.

Rosemary February 11, 2009 at 3:38 am

I have printed this and filed it to make for my son to take to school (he’s at boarding school). I know the boys are going to love this!

Louise February 11, 2009 at 7:22 am

These look great. And, I have a bag of hazelnuts I should use up. Too bad. I’ll have to make a whole batch. ;-)

Patricia Scarpin February 11, 2009 at 10:20 am

These look irresistible, Anna! I’ll be trying them soon.

Estee February 11, 2009 at 5:59 pm

Oh yum!! Once I get done with all of the Valentine’s Day madness I am going to make these. :)

Tracy February 11, 2009 at 10:27 pm

I’ve never had Nutella — this recipe may actually get me to buy some!

Louise February 12, 2009 at 12:56 pm

I thought these cookies looked great, but perhaps they are bringing me bad luck. This is five minutes ago. Everything’s measured out and I was just ready to start beating the sugars, butter, and Nutella when the postman rings the doorbell to tell me I have a tree down. Luckily the 30 ft. tree missed my car by literally 2 inches. I was all set to bake the Butterfinger cookies also, but I think I’m going to have to stop with these. ;-)

Anna February 12, 2009 at 1:08 pm

Louise, it is your lucky day! Wow. Good thing the tree didn’t fall tomorrow because tomorrow is Friday the 13th.

Louise February 12, 2009 at 1:18 pm

And it would have hit my car for sure. It just missed scraping the house too. My husband is out doing taxes as his volunteer work, so I’ll send him a text when he’s about to come home as there’s nothing he can do anyway :-)

Louise February 14, 2009 at 10:10 am

These were a hit at Salsa class last night, and so were the tin tie bags I got for leftovers. :-) My husband said he prefers the Milks.

Bash March 20, 2009 at 5:44 pm

We made a highly-modified version of these today. We used natural-style (no salt) almond butter instead of Nutella, and we used white sugar plus molasses instead of brown sugar (because I am inexplicably out of brown sugar), and we used caramel-milk-chocolate chips for half the chocolate chips (semisweet for the other half). My 6-y-o wanted to help and he liked the idea of the weird chips, which I’d intended for something else.

They really didn’t change shape much at all when they baked… but pressing them with a fork a la peanut butter cookies made them a lot prettier.

They taste good, but not almondy enough nor chocolatey enough for my personal time-of-the-month taste. I was hoing they’d be like the cookie version of a Reeses Peanut Butter Cup except almond. It’s fairly close, but next time I’d add almond extract and use all semisweet chips.

Lauren W March 30, 2010 at 2:40 am

So I just baked these cookies after going a year with out Nutella, and I think I DIED AND WENT TO HEAVEN!! I think I have eaten 5 of them already and I’m about to pass out from all the chocolate, I ate half the container of Nutella while these were baking hehe.

Thank you SOOOO MUCH Anne for posting this recipe, these cookies are AMAZING I can’t praise you or them enough!!

Anna March 30, 2010 at 6:59 am

Hi Lauren,

Thanks for the review!

Cadence's Mom August 5, 2010 at 1:49 pm

Okay, Nutella has to be the best food invited. My kids would probably eat anything with Nutella on it. I am so going to try this.