Cooking Light Garden Harvest Cake

I’m almost embarrassed to admit this, but I made two things this morning. Along with the lava cookies, I made a quick loaf of the latest breakfast cake from Cooking Light. This recipe was actually a finalist in their Ultimate Reader Recipe contest. It’s a moist, rich, bread/cake filled with zucchini, apples and carrots.

The recipe calls for an 8×4 inch loaf pan, but I used a 9×5 inch pan and had good results. The loaf was just a little bit shorter.

Recipe Here

Cooking Light Harvest Cake

Comments

1. Katie says

Yum! I’ll have to try this. It would be a sneaky way to get my son to eat some veggies!

Well then I’m embarrassed, I baked three cookies yesterday! But I suppose no one will know because I’m not going to post them (all repeats). Oh wait, everyone reads your blog and will know if they see this comment. I’ll shut up now. ;)
    The bread looks yummy by the way!

3. C L says

Your timing is perfect, as always! Thank you, Anna! This quick bread looks like just the recipe to use when the zukes and carrots come on full force in a couple of months. My husband will be canning lots of his garden sauce, and I could bake this yummy bread to put in the freezer to give for gifts. Would this work as a muffin too? How long should the muffins bake and for long, I wonder? :)

No reason to be embarrassed! I think it’s great that you made more than one recipe and even happier that you shared it on your blog. I on the other hand don’t even have dinner plans at this time of day!! OTOH, I did have a very productive non foodie day.

OMG you shouldn’t be embarassed at all! Your family and friends are lucky that you love to bake so much. (Wait…you DO share right?) On some lazy weekends I just stay home and bake/cook ALL day and it totally relaxes me and gets me ready for another crazy week ahead!

Okay, I won’t feel guilty ;). Unfortunately it’s now dinner time and I don’t feel like making actual meal-food. Guess we’ll have to go out.

CL, if I were to bake these as muffins, I’d probably start with 18 minutes. They might take up to 22.

7. PhillyGirl says

This looks like a great idea to use up the pulp (“roughies”) from the juicer when I make carrot and apple juice.. I may have to add a little bit of the juice to get the moisture back in but otherwise it looks like a winner. Thanks!

8. T. Martin says

Thanks for the very timely recipe Anna. I think I’m going to try to turn these into mini muffins for Easter.

I adore zucchini in baked goods! This bread looks super moist, super flavorful, and yep, super delicious! I wish I could have a slice for my breakfast right now. Getting up at 5:30am makes me hungry waaaay too early.

Hi Anna,
    I agree, your family is very lucky! The bread recipe looks fantastic. The only time that I eat zucchini is in a bread. This looks very similar to the last recipe I made with carrots and zucchini but I don’t think mine had apple in it. I’m going to make this for breakfast very soon.

11. Deanie says

Hi Anna! Guess what I had for breakfast today? And all week…I made this too this past weekend and loved it. Mine was a little darker than yours though, probably because I used white whole wheat flour, and added a little ground flax. I shredded the apple with skin too. It was so moist, I am going to try to cut down on the oil next time even. My husband liked it too but would like it better without the nuts. I also made the raspberry/lemmon muffins too but used strawberries and white whole wheat flour again. Great minds….ha!

12. Katherine says

Finally got around to making this, and it’s so good. I used whole wheat flour, and since I did not have an apple – I used some chunky unsweetened applesauce. I also threw in some coconut. Great healthy snack!