I’m almost embarrassed to admit this, but I made two things this morning. Along with the lava cookies, I made a quick loaf of Garden Harvest Cake from Cooking Light. This recipe was actually a finalist in their Ultimate Reader Recipe contest. It’s a moist, rich, bread/cake filled with zucchini, apples and carrots.
The recipe calls for an 8×4 inch loaf pan, but I used a 9×5 inch pan and had good results. The loaf was just a little bit shorter.
Garden Harvest Cake
- 1 cup of all-purpose flour 4.5 oz,
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup grated peeled Granny Smith apple about 1 medium
- 1/2 cup grated carrot about 1 medium
- 1/2 cup shredded zucchini
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts toasted
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup nonfat buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease and flour an 8x4 inch loaf pan.
- In a mixing bowl, thoroughly stir together the flour, sugar, cinnamon, baking soda and salt.
- Add grated apple, grated carrot, shredded zucchini, and walnuts to flour mixture; toss well.
- Combine canola oil, buttermilk, and eggs in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk. Add egg mixture to flour mixture, stirring just until combined.
- Spoon batter into the loaf pan and bake at 350° for 50 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes in pan on a wire rack; remove cake from pan. Cool completely on wire rack before slicing.