Carrot Cake Made With Bread Flour

by on June 19, 2009 · 8 comments

I saw this in the LA Times and am putting it here for safekeeping.

Riva’s Carrot Cake

Published on June 19, 2009

Shannon June 19, 2009 at 7:49 am

I am such a fan of carrot cake, but never want to make it at home because I don’t want to end up eating all of it myself!

Anyway, I have a question about the recipe you posted recently for bran muffins (http://www.cookiemadness.net/?p=3869) adapted from Joy the Baker. It calls for 6 TBSP milk and 6 TBSP buttermilk. I was wondering how you think they’d be if I used all buttermilk (12 TBSP) instead. They look delicious, but I’m trying to use up some buttermilk I have in the fridge.

HeartofGlass June 19, 2009 at 7:52 am

It looks fabulous, but 619 calories a slice–well, at least they are honest!

Katrina June 19, 2009 at 8:25 am

Ooh, just the picture is definitely worth safe keeping! Love carrot cake, down to its very last calorie. ;) I’ve actually made one low cal/low fat, it’s still good, but never as good as the real thing! This one does sound great.

Anna June 19, 2009 at 8:44 am

Hi Shannon,

I’m sure all buttermilk would be fine.

M and Katrina, I think the icing is what makes that carrot cake so full of calories. Ounce for ounce, the cake itself is not any worse than other cakes — maybe even better, since some carrot cakes have more oil. But I took a look at the icing and there’s a lot of it!

LilSis June 19, 2009 at 9:18 am

I could very easily do without the icing. The cake itself looks amazing! But, I better not make it while trying to lose a few pounds! :-)

Sue June 19, 2009 at 9:54 am

That recipe looks very good. I haven’t made a carrot cake in years, but when I do I use the recipe out of the Silver Palate Cookbook. Maybe it’s time to update?

barbara June 19, 2009 at 10:01 am

Just saw that Nestle is recalling much of it’s cookie dough products for E Coli..fyi…

janet June 19, 2009 at 4:32 pm

I printed this one off. It looks delicious! Thanks! I am considering making cupcakes and freezing them for a always ready dessert and maybe much less calories? lol